re-building carbs without an aircompressor

Thumpbass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am gearing up to do my first carb re-build and have read everywhere that blowing compressed air through all passages and drying with compressed air are essential steps in the process. I don't own an air compressor so I was wondering if there was an alternative. Would that aerosol air can they use to blow dust off of photos and computer parts work...I would question if it had enough PSI to do the job and or if it had some kind of chemical in it that wasn't good for the carbs...any thoughts?

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: re-building carbs without an aircompressor

Ive done them without one.

It works fine.

Just use the computer, compressed air.

It has the little red stick/ nozzle .

Takes a can, plus,.

The little nozzle fits well against orifices .

I've never had a problem .

KYHunter

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Compressed air iis not the last word in carb cleaning. For this, you need the proper sized wires' to clen out those small passage's that compressed air, and cleaner will not touch.

DHPMARINE

Captain

I actually feel soaking the carbs in solvent is right up there.Beyond that,cleaning the passages with a good carb cleaner is better than just air.

DHP

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

Copper wire or a stiff bristle cut from a (oil based) paint brush helps clean the orifices. Never steel wire. Orifices are delecate. You are trying to agitate and loosen the thin "varnish" buildup that restricts the small openings, not "ream out" the holes.
An air compressor with 90PSI makes the job quicker, not better. As said earlier, a simple spray can of carb cleaner from the hardware store will work fine if you're patient. Just slower is all.
Hint: they sell these big magnifying-glass things with a built-in light and a flexible arm that clamp to a table. They used to be expensive and only available in the fly-tying department of fancy sporting good stores. Now they're for sale all over the place and cheap. I think with our aging population they have a big market with the "crafts" crowd. They are fantastic for jobs like carb cleaning etc. Best $20 you'll spend in a long time. I can even read the fine print on my cable TV bill with the thing!

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

I should have elaborated.

I soak mine in carb cleaner, spray/ clean with carb cleaner spray .

Use various implements, ie: torch tip cleaner, small drill bits, fine wire , etc.

And compressed air to blow out after cleaning.

Not as anything more then final step , to be assured , there's not any grit, dust , etc.

KYHunter

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Berryman's Chem tool is the tool of choice. Buy it in the pint can for the soaking part, then after a couple of days of soaking in that, use the aerosol can to blow everyting out. It is the best solvent i have seen for varnished up carbs.

Keep it off your paint; it will eat it up......fingers too. takes all the moisture out of them and they crack open. d:) .

Every auto parts store (in the world I guess) has it. White can, blue and red markings.

Mark

guywithboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No need for a compressor. Just take your time and thoroughly clean the carb, making sure to check the jets and ports for any obstructions.