Dies after long run

jonsford

Recruit
Hi to all, I hope you can help me. I recently bought a 1977 evinrude 9.9hp outboard engine at a garage sale, after cleaning the carb, & installing fresh gas& spark plugs,& tuning, I headed out to a local lake. My boat planed very quickly, & was scary fast till I got to the far end of the lake, when I slowed the throttle down & ran at a slower speed the engine stalled. It would not restart. I ran my electric motor for 5 to 10 minutes, pulled on the recoil & the gas engine fired back up, it ran on plane to the far end of the lake when I slowed it down again, it died. I believe the problem is in the powert pack, a hot soak problem which remedies itself after a short cooling period. I got a manual & checked the coils, the trigger, everything checks out O.K. The engine has gas when it stalls, it loses spark to the plugs, I doubted both coils would quit at the same time. I ordered a power pack for my engine, am I on the right track? Thank you all in advance, jonsford

mkrupp

Seaman
Re: Dies after long run

i would also change out the water pump, just to be on the safe side

febod

Cadet

Sounds like overheating. S.L.O.W. activated.

h_lankford

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not sure how long your lake is, but I had a similar situation with a small engine. The problem was simple. The gas cap vent was plugged up. After running for a while and consuming enough gas, a partial vacuum formed in the tank, the engine slowed down considerably, starved for fuel. A long rest restored it to full power, only to have the symptoms recur again on another run. HAppened rpeatedly untiI I stumbled upon the answer. So, try running with the cap loose to prove or disprove this possiblity.