1984 8hp suzuki wont run for long

Dock Doctors

Recruit
Hi, I recently bought a used 1984 suzuki dt8 that wont run for more than 3 min or so, its also very hard to start. (the guy I bought it from started it on the 1st pull) It acts like its starved for fuel, im curious if this could be a fuel pump issue. Also What is the fuel/oil ratio, I mixed 16oz to 6 gal, is this about right?
Thanks for the help in advance, Dr

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: 1984 8hp suzuki wont run for long

Hi, welcome to iboats :)

the fuel to oil ratio is 50:1 that you need to mix as, check the ventilation at the fuel tank ....... when the ventilation screw is not open, the motor normally runs rough and dies after a little while, exactly what yours is doing, and you say the guy you bought it from started it in 1 pull, so check your ventilation ... good luck ...

Dock Doctors

Recruit

deejaycee_2000 said:
Hi, welcome to iboats :)

the fuel to oil ratio is 50:1 that you need to mix as, check the ventilation at the fuel tank ....... when the ventilation screw is not open, the motor normally runs rough and dies after a little while, exactly what yours is doing, and you say the guy you bought it from started it in 1 pull, so check your ventilation ... good luck ...

Dock Doctors

Recruit

Thanks deejaycee 2000 for the welcome!
I'll check the vent, I never thought of it, I was stranded on a 98 degree day trying to get to my jobsite.
I'll let you know how it goes,
Thanks, Dr.