Im back 120 Looper still not right

hookedonjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just when you thought I was gone. I took her out yesterday and it just barely got on plane. Top end still looks OK got it up to 5800 RPM 55 MPH. I stated on my other post that when I checked timing in water sitting on the trailer at WOT I could only get 16 deg BTDC with no more adjustment. This Helped although not enuff when I put more gas in and added weight in the back and back to no planing off I checked it again yesterday I removed the rubber bushing on the stop screw to get a little more advanced and got someone to drive and I checked it while it was trying to get on plane and read 18 deg BTDC which is what book calls for But just dont seem right adjusted as far as it will go. any Ideas
One other note
If the plug wires are touching each other should you get interfearance reading on timing light or is that a sign of bad plug wires?
Thanks

Dont Ever Give Up

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Im back 120 Looper still not right

What year ignition are you using? Make sure the flywheel is the same year. If you're at the timer base stop and it's screwed all the way forward you should be at well over 30 degrees. Don't run it anymore until you figure it out. Bad things can happen. The timer base screw should be about 1/2 way in (or out) with the rubber cap on.

Are you using a standard timing light or one with the dial for degrees?

hookedonjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the timer base put on and power pack by a local mech. How do I tell what the year is? This is the one that worked for a few runs then went back to not working .

Dont Ever Give Up

hookedonjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Heres a nother twist to the puzzel. If I set the timing up The Joe Reeves way All plugs out and on 7/16 gap timing light hooked to #1 and at WOT set @ 4 deg less than 18 Deg and I still have about 1/3 of adjustment left. But when its under a load different story.

Dont Ever Give Up

hookedonjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry dhadley missed that first Question it is a standard timing light Just hook 12 VDC clamp on and pull trigger.
I just went out and checked with plugs out and on 7/16 tester and from the setting yesterday it shows about 26 deg add the 4 and Im at 30 like you said. Somthing hapens when its under a load. I went ahead and adjusted it back in to be set on 14 deg BTDC. Thats with no load and plugs out hooked to #1 at WOT.
Im supsious about the plug wires because I seen it again flash #3 I moved the clamp and plug wire as far away as I could and it went away.

Dont Ever Give Up

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Pull the flywheel and look at the center hub magnet.

hookedonjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pulled flywheel and the center hub magnet moved a little bit when I was checking it then it just spun off. here I am flywheel in one hand and hub magnet in the other

Dont Ever Give Up

hookedonjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK thanks to my Mech bud I got a new flywheel to try. I put it on without making any adjustments to the settings and it was about 2 deg BTDC at idle I had to bring it back down to about 4deg ATDC because idle was high. With my old wheel it ran 4 deg ADTC where the new one ran 2 deg BTDC I allready see a big improvement there. Im gona go try it in the water soon as I can

Dont Ever Give Up

hookedonjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welp ran it with new flywheel and same thing except the advanced timing screw is about half way and WOT timing reads 18 deg BTDC under a load. So I got to reset my magnetic hub to the correct position and apoxy back in place. Welp Im either going to put the fin back on or the last thing Im going to try is puting my engine in a lower position. Could be I didnt mount it back in the righ position. Heck I dont know. Engine runs real good just want get out of the hole good. Maybe lowering a little will help

Dont Ever Give Up

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Was the new flywheel the same year as the ignition components? The years go from 1985 to 87 and then from 88 & newer. Do not mix the two.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Don't forget to factor in the QuikStart advance.

hookedonjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im just not sure how to tell what year my ignition parts are. The part numbers mach the original. I have a new CDI pack and New OMC timerbase. Im putting the Orginal flywheel back on after I apoxied the Hub magnet back in the right spot.

Dont Ever Give Up