I can't think of anything worse than this............

Pony

Rear Admiral
Man vs Woodchipper

The worst thing is this guy had two kids with another on the way..............

So many questions from this one..

Why stick your foot into a running chipper when another log would suffice??

Why did the chipper not go into reverse or shut off??

I reall can't think of anything else I would rather NOT see than that. I feel so bad for that guy's family.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: I can't think of anything worse than this............

Good greif that is horrible.

Ken

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

AHHHHHHH That is so sad......:(

rwise

Captain

damn:'(

tommays

Admiral

It is a bad thing all around :(

I run a plant with a lot of well guarded machinery

We have a very strong saftey program with yearly retraining BUT it seems to be human nature to take foolish risks to save time we DONT want them to save

Tommays

Tommays

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Sad for sure.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

:^ :^ :^ :^ :'( :'( Thats Awfull ! ! !

LFK

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like natural selection.

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

not even gonna look, and why would you post something like that here? Chief .)

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

OMG that is terrible! And the poor kid that tried to stop it will never be the same.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Yikes!!!!!
Poor guy.....
As a professional he shoulda knowed better.....
Pretty cold there LFK, but true nonetheless.....JK

Pony

Rear Admiral

LFK said:
Sounds like natural selection.

I sure hope you are joking.....................if not you are one SICK fellow. Yes he made a VERY dumb choice, but still

LFK

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't mean to sound like a prick, but it's not like it was an accident. He didn't slip and fall into a chipper. I'd feel differently, if he hadn't made the choice to stick his foot into a running wood chipper. He must have been suicidal, looking for long-term disability, under the influence of some really strong mind-altering drugs, or lucky to have lived as long as he did.

I watched a guy shoot a 16 penny nail through his thumb, because he wanted to "test the safty lever" on a nail gun. Later that same year he ran a skill saw up his coworker's thigh because he forgot he had pinned back the gaurd, and then swung it back after cutting a board, as his buddy was walking by.

Anyone who would stick their foot into a wood chipper deserves the consequences. Sorry, I feel bad for the guys family, but at least the coworker didn't get hurt by the guys stupidity. Next time it might have been different. People like that are accidents waiting to happen, and all to often they take some innocent crew member down right along with them.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

LKF Easy to say about someone you never knew. I'd venture to guess your response would be different if the person was a friend of yours.

LFK

Petty Officer 1st Class

Limited-Time said:
LKF Easy to say about someone you never knew. I'd venture to guess your response would be different if the person was a friend of yours.

Maybe, but I try to avoid being around people who would purposfully put their foot into a running wood chipper.

rottenray6402

Ensign

My cousin who is considerably older than me got his foot caught in a grain auger, the type with a huge screw turning inside a metal tube for putting wheat into a grainery. Anyhow he was kicking the spilled grain into the auger when it caught his foot. He had to have several aputations and finally ended up with a leg cut off above the knee. It was his own stupid fault but I still feel bad because he was young and kind of a show off and has the reminder for the rest of his life about a dumb lack of judgement.
I would say this guy should have been in a different line of work but I still feel bad for his family.

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

All large chippers have an operators bar that you have to push forward to engage the rollers - the rollers pull the material into the chipper.

If you let go of the bar it goes to idle, if you pull it back it reverses.

You probably will find that this machines safety stuff was disabled - not worked - or a cable tie had it in the forward position.

It is a great big hassle to operate these machines with that bar, you have to push the material in and then push the bar forward - it really requires one person to stand and operate the bar by itself.

shortcuts will get you everytime.

Tlord

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You are not alone LFK.

My first thoughts were for the family and witnesses.

Second thought was that Darwin didn't want to leave any evidence of this guy.

Accidents are accidents. Really stupid is really stupid.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I thought the same way as you guys at first, BUT no one in my opinion "deserves" death. and no kids "deserve" to be fatherless and wife without husband.

I also think back to 9 years ago when my dad got injured on the job. Some would have the same reaction to his injury. He got his hand crushed between two flywheels at work....why? because he stuck his hand into a machine that loads the wheels. He reached in to grab a stuck part and the next flywheel cam down and smashed his hand between them............continuously exerting force on it. Now on the surface people would say its "Natrual selection" because what moron sticks his hand in there like that............................

On the flip side, the shift before reset the machine improperly and the machine should have been stopped but didnt. My dad thought it was off but wasnt. My point is that none of us were at the ob site with this guy. For all we know the thing was in nuetral when he stuck his foot in there..............still stupid by all means, but I dont know about where you all work, but I have seen some corners cut before too. Fact is the situation was soo tramatic if you think anyone remembers the details to which levers were where and what exactly happend you are kidding yourself. You arent thinking about what led up to the accient you are thinking about how to get this chipper stopped. When all is said and done you really don;t remember the details.

He made a mistake, but didnt deserve to die and leave kids behind.