Basic Oil Question for Johnson

h2omansd

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Johnson 115 year 2000. It's relatively new to me and I've just put in a gallon oil since the oil that was in there when I bought it has now run down. The question is....should I be putting any special 2 cycle oil in (perhaps Johnson brand or a specific brand), or will the West Marine TW-2 house brand gallon jug be ok (which is what I just bought a few gallons of and used this time). Thx, sd

h2omansd

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Basic Oil Question for Johnson

Sorry, should have added that this is oil injection, not oil directly into the gas. Thx, sd

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Is that a two or four stroke. If it is two stroke you should be using TCW-3, minimum.

If it is a four stroke, it was probably built by Suzuki and you should check their forum to see what they are using.

That's why they pay me the big bucks.

D

DJ

TCW-2

NOOO!

TCW-3, YES.

By the way, where in the world did you find TCW-2 oil?

D

DJ

By the way, read; "Awakening a Sleeping Outboard" in the FAQ's section. Oterwise, you'll melt this engine down-QUICK.

D

DJ

h2O,

Sorry for my "excited" resonse.

I hate to see good engines wasted by mis-information.

What do you have?

1. Do you have a seperate oil tank? If so, it's two stroke.

h2omansd

Seaman Apprentice

I'm sure then that it's tc-3. I just could not remember and am not anywhere near it now. So then, the TC-3 West Marine stuff is fine for the Johnson 2 stroke, 4 cylinder engine, correct? Thx guys.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If West Marine sold you a TCW-3 oil for your 2 stroke, I'm reasonably confident that it is fine. Half the guys here are getting their oil at Walmart.

D

DJ

H20,

Yes, the engine is a two stroke, by your description.

The oil injection is supposed to deliver the right amount of oil, and it will, if cared for.

Obviously, you are new to this rig. If you do not care for it, or have it cared for, it will fail you.

West Marine brand is OK. I'll hold my comments on non OEM oil..

h2omansd

Seaman Apprentice

ok, got it. Thx guys. Yes, 2-stroke, oil injection, separate tank for the oil. Just new to the whole outboard thing, have always had i/o's. Thx again folks. Appreciate your help. sd