New Mark II clasic

DEF

Cadet
Picked up my new Mark II at the freight terminal yesterday. After three hours I finaly got the floorboards in place. Now I need a 25hp short shaft 2 stroke. Ohio is not the greatest place to find outboards.

DEF

Cadet
Re: New Mark II clasic

Not much going on in the Zodiac forum so I guess I'll post what I've been up to. I ordered a 25 hp 2 stroke Yamaha last week and hope to get it before next weekend. In the meantime I had to get the Zodiac on the water so I put it on my flatbed trailer and hauled it down to Deer Creek Resovior. I have an old Sears 4.5 hp so I put it on the Zodiac and it pushed the boat around the lake at about a walking pace. Can't wait to get the Yamaha so I can see what this boat will realy do.

Vlads Quiff

Seaman Apprentice

It's a pity there are not more people dropping in.

What size is the mkll classic?

I purchased a 3.1 fastroller a few months ago (used), and have not had the chance to get it in the water yet!!

I think the maiden voyage will be this weekend in my local marina so I can have a play with it and get used to it. I have a 8 hp 2 stroke Evinrude, I am told it will get on the plane OK.

Good luck looking for your engine.

kindest regards

DEF

Cadet

Mine is a 4.2. Zodiac claims all of their inflatables will plane with 2 people on 10 hp.

DEF

Cadet

Found a new Yamaha on the internet. Should be here Tuesday.

DEF

Cadet

Got my Yamaha today and took it out for a little breakin. Only had to give it half throtle to get on plane and would stay on plane at just over quarter throttle. This little boat is no slouch. I'll take my gps with me next time to get an idea how fast it is.

DEF

Cadet

Got some readings with my gps. Cruses real nice at 20 mph, about half throttle. Full throttle it goes 26.2 mph with 2 onboard. It dosen't matter if the wife sets in the front or back, with the wind or against the wind, uphill or downhill, it still goes 26.2 mph.

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good speed.

If you've got the aluminum and wood floorboards, this might help.

I've got aluminum except for the bow piece. Discovered that if I put all the boards in place, but leave a lift at the joint directly in the center of the length. Add a little air to the tubes, so that they don't get pinched. Then step inside on top of the lifted spot, reach down and grasp the ropes attached to the tubes on both sides and pull upwards. The boards pop into place and then I slide the side rails down to where they are in proper position and then inflate the tubes and let the air pressure force them the rest of the way.

Hope this helps on your assembly time!

Happy boating.

DEF

Cadet

I think the floor will go in easier next time. It was very tight the first time. I used corn starch to slide the floor pannels in place.

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've never done the cornstarch.

I use the 303 treatment on everything and it seems to go together without problems and it keeps the tubes that bright red color.8)

DEF

Cadet

I'll try the 303 next time. The corn starch idea came from the owners manual. Since it is not as easy to set up and launch this boat as I had hoped, I decided to buy a trailer. Harbor Freight has a trailer for 12 to 14 foot boats up to 600 lb. for $300. Shipping was $13. Should be here Friday by Fed Ex.

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Couple things I've learned, some the hard way...

Make sure the transom rests on the back of the trailer bunks solidly.

Bunks should go on the inside of the speed tubes, not the outside.

Make sure to rinse the inside of the hull after a trip, so the debris flushes out the drain plugs and let all the water run out or it gathers in the dip in the hull at the bow and grows moss.

Under inflation causes the motor to fall forward and puts nasty kinks in the tubes.

Don't forget the tie down strap at the stern. These things fly when you hit a bump at freeway speed.

Secure the battery and fuel tank because they slide around on the floorboards and they make easy targets for those inclined to remove them without permission.

303 coated hull and wet bunks makes for a sliding good time.

Oh yeah, if you've got any exposed bolts that you are concerned might cause damage, get plastic wire connectors and screw them down on to the bolt. They come in all sizes and colors and work great. If it's a bit loose, then squirt some silicone adhesive inside first.

DEF

Cadet

I put the Mk 2 away this weekend. I was hoping for one more nice weekend but it didn't happen. It took longer to clean it then it did to take it apart and fold it up. Looking forward to the spring now.

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cleaning can be such a pain. Thot I'd get another weekend too, but alas, too much work.

It takes me longer to winch the thing into the trailer than to take it down.

So, how did the Harbor Freight trailer work out?

DEF

Cadet

The trailer works ok. I think I need to make a couple of modifications to it to get the boat on strait. I probably have about 200 miles on it. Considering how it was not to difficult to assemble,the completeness of the kit and especialy the price. its tough to beat.

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's good to hear.

I use the bunks to get it on straight. Run the trailer down into the water until the rear of the bunks are submerged, then run the Zody up (aim at the front post) and power on. Works better after a couple tries. Watch the cross wind or waves. I've got LONG bunks on a Pacific trailer. Had to get the Pacific because HF didn't stock them when we bought the Zody.

Sometimes I just pull it on with the rope while standing on the trailer tongue. I have a two foot tongue extension from the receiver, so I've got plenty of walking space.

My problem was getting the transom in the exact spot to fit the upright supports (that hold the transom upright when the boat is deflated on the trailer...that 40hp Merc is heavy).

Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do!

DEF

Cadet

Got the Mk ll out this weekend.Only took about a half hour to setup with my grandsons help. It was 77F Monday. Today its snowing. Guess I'll have to wait till next week to get it wet.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

hey DEF, is there no way you can keep your boat assembled? to extend the life of your boat it is better to leave it fully assembled ...... I am glad to hear that you bought a yamaha, they are the best motor for a inflatable .....