The not so weekly Q&A, 8-7 thru 8-13

Dunaruna

Admiral
[colour=blue]Miss LF is taking some well earned R&R, I'll be your substitute teacher this week.

1.Do you gut your own catch (fish) and how old were you when you first did it without help?

2. What is the weirdest foreign meal/dish you have had and did you enjoy it?

3. What is the worsed meal your partner has prepared and did you tell them?

4. In terms of home renovations/maintenance, what was your biggest disaster?

5. What was the most (intentionally) embarrassing thing you have done to your children/partner in public?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: The not so weekly Q&A, 8-7 thru 8-13

1) Yes, I clean my own except on a charter or party boat where I let the deck hand make a buck or two. I honestly can't rmebember when I learned . . . may have been as old as 14, but I remember fishing when I was 6 or 7. Not sure . . .

2) The weirdest for me was what I like to call "Frog Snot Soup" It was actually some slimy dessert goop stuff that I had in Kuala Lumpur. They told me it was made from frog mucus. I also had fried goose feet that same night, and I am sure that was real . . . Frog snot was just kinda sugary, the fried feet were yummy :D

3) I don't know, Mrs. QC is pretty dern good. I'm gonna pass as nothing is coming to mind. You answering this one Aldo? :p

4) Our AC unit fails every year, rats eating throuh wires. I have miss diagnosed it twice and blew a circuit board that cost some bucks and last year I had to call a professional. :| Both times all I needed to do was splice in a little length . . . Doh!

5) She says I embarass her all the time. Never intentional though . . . I guess the joke's on me.

heycods

Captain

I Have been fishing and cleaning fish on my own since I was 11 years old, Thats when I got my first Cushman Motorscooter and learned how to rig it to carry my rod and real (which I still have)
Baked in the ground goat nuts, cooked with rice and halapinio seasoning and some other Mex. spices (yummy also)
The little woman has a tendancy to prepare some wierd concoctions and call them food, some are good some ate terrible, (some things just dont mix to me.) I dont have stupid written on my forehead so I kept my mouth shut.
4 Removing and replaceing a shower stall in our bathroom, things didnt fit and I had to make my own trim from 2x4s to get enough coverage for the gaps in the misfit. It turmed out so so , but next time it is a carpender job for sure.
5 my youngest son and a guy that worked for me went up the country for a load of Alfala hay, we spent the night in a cheap motel with one regular size bed and one twin bed (son and I slept in regular size bed) Was a might tight as we are both used to king size beds.
The next morning as we were eating Breakfast I ask the guy who was working for me "If I had sex with my son last night would it still be incest" It plumb got off with my son ears turned red and all that, We still laugh about that years later.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Do you gut your own catch (fish) and how old were you when you first did it without help? At age 5 I onced squeezed a bullfrog and it kinda "self gutted" :^ but I started cleaning fish when I was 8 or 9.

What is the weirdest foreign meal/dish you have had and did you enjoy it? My first experiance with head cheese in europe .... it was okay. Lesson learned do not let a newbie order dinner. Then there were quite a few home-made local moonshine spirits that looked, smelled and tasted terrible but, that was only the first sip!

What is the worsed meal your partner has prepared and did you tell them? Baked artichokes .... kinda like eating mulch! Yes I told her.

In terms of home renovations/maintenance, what was your biggest disaster? None.......... yet.

What was the most (intentionally) embarrassing thing you have done to your children/partner in public? I am in the same boat as QC on this one..... nothing intentional but it happens!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Been mostly cleaning my own catch since about 6 , fileting since about 10. The part that isn't "most;y" is when I have paid a guide to do it for me.

Attended a Japanese (traditional) wedding and reception. Enjoyed everything. Was sick for a week.

My partner never prepared a meal for me that wasn't delicious.

Don't recall any disasters, or even anything I had to hire someone to do over.

Like any parent of teens, I embarrassed them just by being, but not on purpose.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

1. About 8-10 years old i'm guessing...

2. If I dunno what it is, I don't eat it...

3. N/A.. I make it a point to eat out..

4. First attempt at stucco.. More ended up on the ground than on the wall..

5. I have no kids, and since this is a "family" forum, I'll just go with the N/A..:/

Dunaruna said:
[colour=blue]3. What is the worst meal your partner has prepared and did you tell them?

Beef Stroganoff. It has been a source of aggrivation ever since. ;)

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

1. Early teens
2. Escargo (snails) Love 'em! but not in oil, wine is the best.
3.Some alfrado stuff.....I told her..now when she wants it, I get a steak.
4.Too many to mention....but at least I try.
5. Not on pupose..but when I do my arm lets me know from the sting of a punch!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Dunaruna said:
1.Do you gut your own catch (fish) and how old were you when you first did it without help?
Yes. 12 or 13
Dunaruna said:
'pends on your definition of the word "foreign" is.
Rocky mountain oysters.
No.
Dunaruna said:
3. What is the worst meal your partner has prepared and did you tell them?
Turkey burgers. They taste like... Well they taste NOT like beef.

Yes, I told her not to trick me again. She didn't say anything, but I found out anyhow by checking the label after the fact.
Dunaruna said:
Huricane Charley left my home a mess. The worst, was the water main that had broken-off INSIDE the wall. so much fun.
Dunaruna said:
5. What was the most (intentionally) embarrassing thing you have done to your children/partner in public?
Showing my son's girlfriend our family album with his kiddy-pics. LOL

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]
QC said:
1)

2) The weirdest for me was what I like to call "Frog Snot Soup" It was actually some slimy dessert goop stuff that I had in Kuala Lumpur. They told me it was made from frog mucus. I also had fried goose feet that same night, and I am sure that was real . . . Frog snot was just kinda sugary, the fried feet were yummy :D

O M G!

QC

Supreme Mariner

12Footer said:
Turkey burgers.

I'll eat just about anything (see above) but there is just something wrong with ground up birds . . .

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]
Dunaruna said:
[colour=blue]

[colour=red]Yep, about 12.

[colour=blue]2. What is the weirdest foreign meal/dish you have had and did you enjoy it?

[colour=red]Pickled buffalo feet (the soft bit, not the 'hoof') - disgustingly horrible but I had to eat it so as to not offend my host.

[colour=blue]3. What is the worsed meal your partner has prepared and did you tell them?

[colour=red]Cold cucumber soup - had to, otherwise it might have happenned again.

[colour=blue]4. In terms of home renovations/maintenance, what was your biggest disaster?

[colour=red]Digging a hole underneath my pool so I could locate a leak - I caused a leak with the shovel :% I lost 30,000 litres before I could stop it.

[colour=blue]5. What was the most (intentionally) embarrassing thing you have done to your children/partner in public?

[colour=red] Went to a theme party (anything involving a 'W'), I went as a woman :love:

Ron G

Commander

1.Do you gut your own catch (fish) and how old were you when you first did it without help?yes 12

2. What is the weirdest foreign meal/dish you have had and did you enjoy it?Somepeople say alot of the stuff i eat is weirdd:)how about fried rattlesnake its very good.

3. What is the worsed meal your partner has prepared and did you tell them?:love:

4. In terms of home renovations/maintenance, what was your biggest disaster?none so far

5. What was the most (intentionally) embarrassing thing you have done to your children/partner in public?o:)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nope, catch and release only, always have been.

It was something at a Chinese place and it looked scary and tasted worse.

As some members here can tell you, I have had no problem eating for quite some time, but the worse would be them dang cauliflower trees, guess the burnt smell did not help much.

Putting up paneling. Getting them holes cut right for the plug in's. Always seem to be on the wrong side when I was done.

FART.

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

I was around 8, Grandpa showed me how then I got to clean his also

Iguana, Yes it tastes like Chicken

3. What is the worsed meal your partner has prepared and
did you tell them? Spagetti, It was the first meal she ever cooked for me. I told her it was bad and how to fix it. She still married me, I have been doing ALL the cooking for the last 21 years

4. In terms of home renovations/maintenance, what was your biggest disaster? Decided to replace the roof, tore everything off first, yes you guessed it, It started downpouring :-( I should have taken stock in KILZ after that.

Tell the spagetti story

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

SBN said:
FART.
Stay classy San Diego!
anchorman_san_diego.jpg

ehenry

Commander

1.Do you gut your own catch (fish) and how old were you when you first did it without help? 6 years old

2. What is the weirdest foreign meal/dish you have had and did you enjoy it? clams served in some type liquid....they were open, still in the shell...the liquid was good but the clams are an aquirred taste

3. What is the worsed meal your partner has prepared and did you tell them? it was some sort of hamburger noodle casserole thing that was horrible...i ate it but exploded later on that night and yes i told her.

4. In terms of home renovations/maintenance, what was your biggest disaster? was up in the attic clearing the A/C drain and my shoulder came out of socket it was soooo painful i couldnt move and the fire department had to come get me out of the attice and take me to the band aid clinic to get it snatched back in place.

5. What was the most (intentionally) embarrassing thing you have done to your children/partner in public? I didnt do it to my son but he did it to me.....when he was about 11 he kicked me in the balls while demonstrating his tae kwon do for my parents.

aspeck

Staff member

Yes, since about 6 or 7.

Had a nice dish in Spain made with a rabbit's head. Palm nut soup made with whole fish, large slimy snails, and grasscutter (kind of like a ground hog) in Ghana. Yep, both are good, however, I try to avoid the snails, they are touch and slimy.

When we were first married she made spaghetti. I am of italian decent, so her version of spaghetti was more like noodles with sloopy joe on top of it. I told her never to make it again until I could teach her correctly. She does it well now!

None that I can think of. (YET)

I'm a bit of a goof, so I am always doing things that embarrass them in public.