1960 75hp vs 1992 88hp

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice
I have a dilemma. I have a fully restored 1961 Grady White with the original 1960 starflite motor. the motor has been well taken care of and I replaced many parts lower unit seal bearing ..all rubber hoses belt etc. The motor runs very nice, looks great. but it is 46 yrears old and I will have my kids and their friends on the boat in the long island sound. plus I hate to put it in salt.

I have the opportunity to buy an 88hp 1992 Johnson,
this motor has been stored for 3 years... dealer says was used maybe 20 hours a season , he thinks around 100 hours.

I'm torn.... the oldie looks right on the boat but 46 years vs 14 years?

any pros and cons on this 88hp?

D

DJ

Re: 1960 75hp vs 1992 88hp

There is no comparison.

The 75 HP was probably 65 HP at the prop-maybe. Also, the 75 HP has no battery charging capability.

The 88 HP has more HP and is a modern design, plus a great engine.

I like the old ones too, but not enough to rely on them as my only power.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Talk price with the dealer,but you do not want to buy as is. You want it running,on your boat,and running correctly.

It wiil need (or will need soon after you buy it) at least both carbs rebuilt and a water pump rebuild.More than that and the $$$$ go up fast.

Also,why has the motor sat 3 years ? Was it parked due to a problem someone is forgetting ? Won't start well ... jumps out of gear ... hole in piston ... you get the idea. Also be glad it only sat 3 years.The ones that sit 5 or more are usually 6 or 10 years older than the owner recollects (grin).

Good Luck !

DHP

AlanR

Petty Officer 1st Class

djohns19 said:
There is no comparison.

The 75 HP was probably 65 HP at the prop-maybe. Also, the 75 HP has no battery charging capability.

The 88 HP has more HP and is a modern design, plus a great engine.

I like the old ones too, but not enough to rely on them as my only power.

Couldnt agree more. Go with the 88 IF it runs, shifts and pumps water.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The 88 is quieter, has better choke starting, electronic ignition, more horsepower and torque, greater prop selection. Hard to justfy staying with the old engine. Check to see if it has power tilt/trim-a modern covenience that is really handy. As an 88, it may not. DHP brings up a good point about buying it running on your boat.

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice

DHPMARINE said:
Talk price with the dealer,but you do not want to buy as is. You want it running,on your boat,and running correctly.

It wiil need (or will need soon after you buy it) at least both carbs rebuilt and a water pump rebuild.More than that and the $$$$ go up fast.

Also,why has the motor sat 3 years ? Was it parked due to a problem someone is forgetting ? Won't start well ... jumps out of gear ... hole in piston ... you get the idea. Also be glad it only sat 3 years.The ones that sit 5 or more are usually 6 or 10 years older than the owner recollects (grin).

Good Luck !

DHP

it was an old guys boat who died and has sat at the marina with dozens of others since then

he says the guy used it maybe 20 hours a year and he bets it has less than 100 hours it.
it could be in better cosmetic shape but I can take care of that, has some corrosion under the paint around the pan
he will only sell it as is, I'm going tomorrow to see it run. has no power tilt trim . he knocked off 200 when I didn't like the fact that I will have to clean it up quite a bit and paint it. so it is 1800 bucks and I think its a 92.

he wants 500 more to put in on my boat so I will have to do it.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I would want to do a compression test on the new engine before I purchased it. If the seller has the engine on his lot, he may have all of the service records for the engine. Ask to see them and look to see if it was winterized before it was last stored.

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice

Just got off the phone with him Hes rebuilding the carbs...