rustproofing oil pan etc.

greentahoe

Seaman
I need to rustproof, as much as possible, my steel oilpan and timing cover. What is the best method available to the home mechanic?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: rustproofing oil pan etc.

Keep them Either,........

Well Painted............. I prefer Rustolium...
Or,...
Well Greased.............
Both will Stop the Rust from Starting........
Grease will Stop it After it Starts..........

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Don't use undercoating. The stuff cracks and then holds water.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Both parts are tin,so repriming them and a new coat of paint may help.

The real problem is the condensation most boats collect under the motor cover.Todays boats are quiet,but they are not well ventilated.

Paint the new parts,install and maybe spray with a decent penetrating oil the first (or last) of every month.Or do it on the IDES.

Merc and BRP do make a product for this,but I find it gums up the surface of everything,making repairs difficult

DHP

jastacey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had an issue with a rusty oil pan, I primed the pan with a high zinc primer and used an epoxy spray paint, I put 5 thin coats on it and with some luck it will last a few years

akbpilot

Cadet

When I bought my boat the previous owner had sprayed down the engine and attachments with Boeshield. He had gotten it from one of the people he delivered to at Prudhoe, he said they use it on every thing up there. It looks like cr@p (kind of like dipping it in wax), but it really does keep the rust away. Third year on the coating, and virtualy no rust. Will probably re-coat this fall before I put it away.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Green, I like to use Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, and then a topcoat. Then spray with Boeshield or some other corrosion inhibitor. None of this should be necessary unless you boat in salt water. In that case hose off the entire block (careful around carb) to remove the salt.

greentahoe

Seaman

Thanks all. Yes, I do go in salt water. I'm looking into the POR 15 kit. Otherwise I may go with a zinc oxide primer and several coats of Rustoleum.