Electric dog lift

vipzach

Lieutenant
My wife is a dog groomer and grooms/baths between 12 and 20 dogs a day. Sometimes she has very large dogs and has a hard time getting them in the tub. She has tried the things that look like walking planks and even a set of stairs with a rail to get the dogs into the tub. The dogs usually don't like either one and both of those take alot of space.

I want to built her a dog lift that she can hook under the dog and then raise them up into the tub. I want to mount the motor on the ceiling on a track so she can easily push the dog into the tub once it is up in the air and mount a switch on the wall so that nothing is left hanging from the ceiling when not needed.

How do I figure out what 110v motor to use? Then find the right size pulley so that it does not just yank the poor dog into the air, but also does not make you wait 10 minutes to raise 3 feet. I am still planning this out, so any help you guys can provide would be appreciated.

tommays

Admiral
Re: Electric dog lift

1/8 ton hand hoist :)

homemade and diping into water is a really scarry idea :(

Tommays

ndemge

Commander

They make this exact thing for lifting handycap people, see if you can find one and re-create it.

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

How about some sort of counterbalanced sling/lever rig? NO motors or wiring, just sling the beast and lift from the lever end and then rotate over the water and down.
I have a mental picture of this so I must have seen somthing like it someplace

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I'm thinking electric boat winch mounted to table, cable, couple of pulleys and a hook attached to a couple of straps...Away he goes....

kengladd

Seaman

kengladd said:
www.ehow.com/how_1276_build-block-tackle.html
I found this. It looks easy, it looks like it may work and will not electrify any furries
do not forget, everytime you double the wheels on the pully you will be able to lift twice the weight with half the effort but also only half the distance

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The ones that the medical people use are called a HOYER LIFT I used one with my first wife and they would be simple to use and make.

Our local groomer has a ramp to walk the dogs up.

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

Garage door opener, she can hold the remote in her hand to operate with other hand on dog.I used an old one once to lift my canoe up in the garage . d:)

Link

Rear Admiral

What about checking Northern rool for atv lifts. Build your own platform on top.
They go all the way down to the floor.