D i have enough hp to plane

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 12 ft star craft that my dad is driving down to me this thanksgiving. i was wondering if 5.5 hp would be enough to plane with just me in the baot I way 110 pounds plus 50 pound motor and 4 gallons of gas if not what should i do

jaymasta

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: D i have enough hp to plane

baconbiscut said:
I have a 12 ft star craft that my dad is driving down to me this thanksgiving. i was wondering if 5.5 hp would be enough to plane with just me in the baot I way 110 pounds plus 50 pound motor and 4 gallons of gas if not what should i do

if the motor is in decent shape and the boat has a planeing hull I think it should no problem, is it aluminum or fibreglass, does it have a coastguard sticker stating max hp etc? My cousin has a 14ft aluminum boat with a v hull and it planes pretty good with 1 person and an 8hp.....if it doesn't plane it mostly likely isn't going to so putting a bigger motor on might make it unstable,...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i'd rather see a 9.9 on it, and good looking babe that likes to fish on the front seat.

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its aluminum and it has a planeing hull

deejaycee_2000

Captain

In that case I doubt it ... why not upgrade to a 15hp or 25h will push you and 2 people out ....

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

being as I have a 12 foot aluminum v hull crestliner (rated for 10hp) and a 6hp evinrude with a 200# driver it WILL plane but you need to move the fuel tank infront of the middle seat (mine has 3 rows of seats). 2 people forget about it and just troll :D You need a 9.9 or a 15 with a 9.9 cover for 2 people.

waterinthefuel

Commander

How old are you bacon?

The only reason I ask is one of our members made a comment about a fine babe being in the boat with you. I want to make sure the comment was appropriate.

You had mentioned your father helping you, that's the only thing that keyed me off.

If you are of age, please forgive me. I'm only trying to respect our child members.

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm 12 i'm not afended thats somthindg my dad would say any way so your good

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

With your weight it should plane easily with proper weight distribution.If it has a remote tank put it forward.
If you still have difficulty make or buy an extension handle so you can sit in the middle seat.We had a 12 ft steel boat that popped on plane with a 5 hp Gale and a
120 lb. driver with the handle.It also planed with same driver and 2 50 lb. kids.

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are going out alone make sure you wear a PFD, have a kill switch attached to you and some way to climb back into the boat if you fall overboard. Boating is fun but you need to be safe. I hope you enjoy your new boat.

studlymandingo

Commander

I'm glad to hear that you were only 12, I was going to suggest that you sell the boat and buy some groceries to get your weight above 110!

The 5.5 is going to be a little weak for that boat, but it may work. Also with your being 12, you will want to be able to take that girl who loves to fish out on the boat with you in another year or two!:love:

phatmanmike

Captain

my 14 footer planes with me and a 5hp nissan. i weigh 220lbs, 6 gallons fuel, 56 pounds motor.

its not just the hp, its the prop, how wide and flat the bottom of the boat is, weight distribution,etcetcetc

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its a 12 ft v-hull aluminum boat 58 in beam and 125 pounds. i way 108 plus 47 pound motor 4 gallons of gas which = 24 total is 304 lbs

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

to be totally realistic, for your 1st boat, the 5.5 should be fine, in a year or 2, you can sell it and upgrade. learn all you can about 2 cycle engines, so you can mech your own, it really cuts down on the cost.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

When I was a kid the neighbor had a 7.5 hp off brand on a 14' alum boat. There were 3 or 4 of us in the boat and it planed out pretty good, considering.

I had a 7.5 Merc on a 12' Lowe lake john. It ran really good. No doubt in my mind that a 5.5 would have planed it.

Mark

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank You thats the answer i was looking for

ferrariman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a 13ft peterourgh ceader rowboat flatbottom with a 1955 7.5 evinrude fleetwin and not only did it plane but it went like hell. By myself i never took it to WOT it bounced around to much. With two people and camping gear we got 16.5 mph on a handheld gps. Just my two bits.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hey Ferrariman, now that you mention it...

My grandpa had the same engine of about the same vintage. We rented a boat once that I remember, a fiberglass 14', back when glass first came out.

It planed it just fine with both of us in it.

I "lusted" for that engine for years. Grandpa outlived me growing up and by the time he passed away, I had my own stuff and didn't need his. Don't know what my aunt did with that engine.

Mark