forward gear

dan murphy

Cadet
I recently replaced clutch dog & forward gear, but it still seems to slip. Is it possible I need to adjust the tension that the clutch dog has on the forward gear & if so how do I adjust that?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: forward gear

Dan....give us a year and hp.

Also, can you give us a description of what the engine does when it "slips"?

dan murphy

Cadet

OBJ said:

It's a 1970 18HP, it seems like the clutch dog occasionally looses contact with the forward gear. I had it out last night & I found that if I kept pressure on the shifter it wouldn't slip, that's why I'm wondering if I can adjust the pressure that the shifter applies to the clutch dog.Thanks for any advise!

dan murphy

Cadet

dan said:
OBJ said:

It's a 1970 18HP, it seems like the clutch dog occasionally looses contact with the forward gear. I had it out last night & I found that if I kept pressure on the shifter it wouldn't slip, that's why I'm wondering if I can adjust the pressure that the shifter applies to the clutch dog.Thanks for any advise!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I think that there is an adjustment screw in the recessed area of the shift handle. I don't have a manual for your motor, but I will guess that reverse has the shift rod down and forward pulls it up.

If that is so, see if you can adjust the shifter by putting it in reverse, loosening the screw, and then adjusting the shift rod lever so that it is just off the bottom of the lower cover. Maybe 1/8".

The idea is to get the forward gear to engage sooner in the travel path of the shift handle.

dan murphy

Cadet

ezeke said:
I think that there is an adjustment screw in the recessed area of the shift handle. I don't have a manual for your motor, but I will guess that reverse has the shift rod down and forward pulls it up.

If that is so, see if you can adjust the shifter by putting it in reverse, loosening the screw, and then adjusting the shift rod lever so that it is just off the bottom of the lower cover. Maybe 1/8".

The idea is to get the forward gear to engage sooner in the travel path of the shift handle.

Are you telling me that this screw is located on the top of the motor inside the cover for the power head? Sorry I'm kind of a novice just trying to wing it.

dan murphy

Cadet

ezeke said:

dan murphy

Cadet

ezeke said:

I'm just thinking, is this adjustment screw in the lower unit?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

No it is not. It is on the shift handle. Look at the parts diagram fot the mid-section where it shows the connectons from the shift handle to the shift rod lever.

"http://epc.brp.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fdefault.aspx%3fbrands%3dej%26lang%3dE&brands=ej&lang=E"

Copy the url above the quotation marks then go to the parts manual for your motor. You will be able to enlarge the diagram with the icon above it.

steve694

Cadet

dan said:
I recently replaced clutch dog & forward gear, but it still seems to slip. Is it possible I need to adjust the tension that the clutch dog has on the forward gear & if so how do I adjust that?

dan murphy

Cadet

ezeke said:
No it is not. It is on the shift handle. Look at the parts diagram fot the mid-section where it shows the connectons from the shift handle to the shift rod lever.

"http://epc.brp.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fdefault.aspx%3fbrands%3dej%26lang%3dE&brands=ej&lang=E"

Copy the url above the quotation marks then go to the parts manual for your motor. You will be able to enlarge the diagram with the icon above it.

So it's inside the motor case on the shift lever/

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Yes....# 38, 39, Etc.... 42 is the shift handle to shift rod

convert