Won't go in gear

Acadianbasic

Recruit
While in water yesterday as I accelerated forward the boat quit moving. The prop tries to turn but barely. Then nothing. The engine will throttle up but prop does not move. Help

mrn714

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Won't go in gear

Does the hub move? No age or other info, so not sure if your asking about a 5 hp or 350 hp Volvo, Merc OMC? Try the spun hub theroy for now.

Acadianbasic

Recruit

No the hub, or bolt in center does not move. It's a 96 Merc Brovo One 7.4 litre out drive with a 427 engine.

mrn714

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds internal, but not sure the possible cause on the unit. DId you check the cable to the shift shaft?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would say pull the outdrive and check the cable and the linkage where the cable attaches to the drive. That is the weak link in the system and fails more than the drive does. Do check the gear lube for metal shavings and change it if you haven't yet this year.
Here is a link to a free online Mercruise manual for the Bravo drives.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/11/11covr5x.pdf

Just an FYI, you don't have a 427, Mercruiser hasn't used them since the early 70's. You also said you had a 7.4L, which is the same as a 454 cu. in. Chevy engine.
If you have a serial number, maybe I can give you some other info on your engine.