Per SBNs request "recipe exchange"

Link

Rear Admiral
In another post Spinner said:
"Let's get back to the fun stuff that made DC what it is. "

I'll go first Spinner! :)

I'm not sure if OMC still posts here but here is a recipe he passed on to me. Credits due here.

Going to try it this week! Sounds YUMMY!

Black Berry Dumplings!

1 quart fresh or frozen (loose-pack) blackberries
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2/3 cup milk
Cream or whipped cream, optional

In a Dutch oven, combine the blackberries, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and extract;
bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine
flour, baking powder, nutmeg, remaining sugar and salt. Add milk; stir just until mixed
(dough will be very thick). Drop by tablespoonfuls into six mounds onto simmering
blackberry mixture. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a
dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Spoon into serving dishes.
Serve with cream or whipped cream if desired but
icecream is the best.

This used to be the stuff we talked about all the time, in what is now called DC.

It's a Good Thing!
My Gal Martha!

:) :) :)

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Re: Per SBNs request

Yep, I can remember those types of posts.......although i think I made a clown of myself asking about names and ingredients that you had different temrs for.
Always enjoyed the read tho.
Cheers
Phillip

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Can someone dig up Derwoods receipe for opposum? Boy ole boy, that was a post to remember. Dat wuz da good ole daze!

Have to agree that some of the ideas and recipes were down right tasty! Thanks to those that contributed..........SS

Fishin' Jeff

Chief Petty Officer

Ooops, I should have read this one before posting my first rant...sorry guys:(

Ron G

Commander

Sounds good......BBQ posseum????may be good but those buggers are naster than chickensd:)

Fishin' said:
Ooops, I should have read this one before posting my first rant...sorry guys:(

Well at least you posted it as a rant and not an I wonder disquise.
If any one would like my recipe for a Salsa I will be happy to post it. Peace My Bruthah

Ron G

Commander

I could us a good salsa reciped:)post away tecno.

LadyFish

Admiral

Yeah, I love fruity ones. d:)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not to hi-jack link's thread, but
I like hot one's.
8)

vipzach

Lieutenant

I would like to hear your recipe techno.

Link, maybe you should rename this thread to "recipe exchange"8) It is a good time ofyear for some good outdoor cooking recipes!

LadyFish said:
Yeah, I love fruity ones. d:)

Are you pulling my lag, thar pisces. The tomato is a fruit and is the base ingredient for all salsas I know.

SBN, My reee sipe is simple and you can add or subtract heat "as you like it"

Ingredients: (for a big bowl) All Fresh ingredients
6 Red ripe tomatoes
3 Large Jalepeno Peppers
One Large white onion (Spanish if you prefer)
One bunch Cilantro (chineese parsley)
Dice onions and Peppers (I just slice them from point to stem) and cover in three parts water and one part vinegar. (I use a redwine vinegar but a good white vinegar is good also) Don't use vinegar that has be setting and forgotten in the pantry.
Refregerate while you dice the the tomato and chop the Cilantro. Combine cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
Optional ingredient (Tomatillos about two per tomato)
If you like it hotter add more Jalepeno
For a milder version Substitute Anaheim peppers (Long Green) Caution: If you use this as dipping salsa do not pick up just the pepper on your chip.
The vinegar tames the pepper so you can add a little to the mix if it is too hot. The water spreads the heat to the other ingredients. This is why it should be allowed to rest before being consumed. Bon appetite.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Link said:
In another post Spinner said:
Black Berry Dumplings!

Oh man! Now that's my kind recipe. Got the blackberries in the freezer. Thank you very much!
Bassy

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Techno, we do a similar salsa but we use Hatch green chiles and we add a few ears of bbq corn to the mix.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Killer hurt me wings......can some one please tell me how to make this sauce. There's a place just out in the next town that makes them and they are just great.....if you can survive the first one or two.

A long while back I posted a recipe for bean soup....you know....the kind that grandma used to make. Serve it up with some fried potatoes, corn bread and even some fried polish sausage.....I'm gettin' hungry......

Link

Rear Admiral

Just wanted to let Fishin' Jeff know I agree with techno.
Your rant was just fine.

And since when would SBN Not want to hijack a thread ;)
Only like five minutes before rack time.

Thanks for the salsa recipe techno
I'll have a couple questions tomorrow.

Me loves SALSA!

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Kiwi said:
Yep, I can remember those types of posts.......although i think I made a clown of myself asking about names and ingredients that you had different temrs for.
Always enjoyed the read tho.
Cheers
Phillip

Me too Phil.............quite often I've seen recipes on here and thought "Hmmmm love to do that one" only to discover that the recipe refers to trade names that we don't recognise in the UK. Sometimes we can get around it by googling but often it puts the recipe out of reach.
Just a thought for our US Dockside Cousins: if there is a tradename in the recipe maybe's explain briefly what the item actually is?

Wish I'd read this post before ranting about the UK president, sorry :$

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Scottish Recipe

Millionaire Shortbread

For the base:

8oz Butter
4oz Sugar
12oz self raising flour

Filling:

5oz Butter
5oz Dark brown soft sugar
12oz Can condensed milk

topping:

9oz Cooking chocolate

Method:

For the base cream together the butter and sugar until ight and fluffy then fold in the flour. Press the dough into a greased flat tin 7 inches by 11 inches. Bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes at 180'C (350'F or gas mark 4) until golden. Leave in tin to cool.

Filling:

Place butter and sugar in a non-stick pan over a low heat. Stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Add condensed milk and bring gently to the boil stirring continuously to make a golden caramel. As soon as it comes to the boil remove from heat, cool slightly then pour over the base. Leave for at least half an hour to cool and set.

Topping:

Crumble the cooking chocolate into a glass bowl and place in a pan of water. heat the water until the chocolate has melted. Allow to cool slightly then spoon over the filling and smooth.

Leave to cool and set then cut into squares (you'll get around 24-36 pieces depending on size of squares).

Stand back and watch as people get trampled in the rush to get a piece! There are storage instructions (airtight tin in a cool dark place) but my stuff never lasts longer than a day before familt and friends are pestering for more 8)

Ron G

Commander

OBJ said:
Killer hurt me wings......can some one please tell me how to make this sauce. ......
How much ya want to hurt??d:)do want a slow burn or run to the creek the next day burnd:)most of mine are at the house,but for really hot ones i use a hot sauce called ring of fire in habernaro and garlic add 2 tablesppons of butter.mix it togeather and then put some of it over the wings.then i fire up the grill put hickory chips in and put the wings on about every 10 minutes give a good basting with the saucs.so the finished product is a smoked hotwing,if ya like them wet when there done just smother some more sauce on them,this can be done with any kind of hot sauce.

Mammies little baby loves shortnin, shortnin
Mammies liffle baby loves shortnin bread.
Deezy are you still there?

ehenry

Commander

Candied Jalapenos:

Bowl full of cut jalapenos.

In heavy bottom pot or copper bottom pot melt sugar and vinegar. For every cup of sugar you melt add one quarter cup of white vinegar. How many cups of sugar depends on how many peppers you are proccessing. While melting your sugar you have to stand over it and stir constantly....you dont want it to burn.

When the sugar and vinegar is melted and clear add your jalapenos to cook. Cook the mixture until the jalapenos turn an olive drab color and are tender. When they get done you can put the jalapenos in jars along with enough of the juices from the pot to cover the peppers and put your lids on. The lids will seal and the peppers will keep for a year of more.

SwampTater's Salsa:

I use an anondized 8 quart Presto pressure cooker pot to do this in. Do not pressure cook this just use the pot.

Quarter and add tomaotes to pot unitl it is level full with cut tomatoes.

Add white vinegar to pot of tomatos until you see the vinegar and juice start to rize up though the tomatos. If you add too much vinegar you can add more tomatos after it cooks down some and there is room.

Add 4 HEAPIN table spoons of chopped garlic. You can find this in the refridgerated section of the store. I buy the great big honkin jars of it at Sam's

Start cooking on medium heat. As the mixture cooks, stir with a stiff metal spoon so as the tomatos get tender they with tear up and allow for more to be added to the pot.

To this 8 quart pot I generally use 4 to 5 mediuim size Vadallia onions, CHopped.

4 to 5 mediium sized bell peppers chopped or sweet bananna pepper or a mixture of both.

NOW, getting the KICK or heat you want depends on what peppers you use. I'm partial to habaneros. I generally use 10 to 15 orange habaneros chopped up in a little electric mini-chopper. I have used jalapenos and hot banannas.....what ever pepper you use ya need to use enough to get at the very least 3 mini-choppers full. at the most 4....it all depends on how hot you want it. It took me several pots before I got it the way i wanted it.

Cook on this for the better part of a day on low to medium low heat once you get everything added...stirring every time you think about it.

Using this pot with this recipe it will yield 8 to 10 pint jars or 5 to 7 quart jars. Jars will seal after lids are put on and will keep for two years or more.

I hope these make sense to yall. Feel free to bark at me if they don't.