Question about changing prop diameter

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello All

I have a 19 foot welded aluminum boat with a '94 johnson 150 and am currently using a 3 bladed aluminum 15 by 15 prop which runs WOT at 5200 rpm at 32 knots.

Where I live is fairly remote and I would like to buy a stainless prop through the internet. Are there guidelines I can use to tell my what pitch I would need in, for example, a 14 inch stainless prop that would give me 5600 rpms? Is there a formula one can use for predicting how a change in diameter will affect WOT RPM?

Thanks in advance for your feed back!

Ron G

Commander
Re: Question about changing prop diameter

i i would really think you would be turning alot more rpms with that 15 then you are!are you sure your tacs right and it is a 15p prop?

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for your response Ron

I've been told that before. A mechanic said I should be able to "spin the paint off" a 15" prop but I'm pretty sure my tach is accurate and it's definitely a 15 by 15 prop. I did a prop slip calculation a while ago and it seemed OK. (I don't remember what the slippage was)

A couple of things. I did do a compression check a while ago and only got around 65 to 70 psi on all 6 cylinders. I did a decarb and it didn't change anything significantly. Also when accelerating the engine jumps from about 1500 to 2500 without much movement of the throttle.

Thanks!

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

I'm no expert, but recall reading that compressoin should be above 100 and within 10% of each other. Might want to post the compression in your motors repair forum to get the absolute correct info.

Eric

walleyehed

Admiral

65-70lbs on all 6 isn't good, but we don't know if the gauge is accurate..
As for your speed, 32kts (36.8mph) figures out to just over 9% slip...I would say that's extremely good for aluminum, if that's what you have. SS, it would be about where it should be if set-up is correct.
I do question tach accuracy though, and yet if the compression is really what you came up with, I'd say the engine is about done...

Crownie2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mike - a decrease in diameter, which is probably what you will be doing, will probably increase RPM's but as far as I know there is no way to calculate this.

Bob