so why do you hate pwc.

ziggy

Admiral
i got me a boat, & i got me a pwc. had me the pwc first. that was what i could afford. seems like a pwc is perhaps more affordable than a boat. so more blue collor folk(me0 can get into hangin at the beach too.
i was at my favorit fishin hole today, counted 15 pwc, and 13 boats. everyone was being respectfull. lake is 1800 sq acres. so medium sized i reckon for a lake. cool to see everyone being respectful.
as for pwc. geez, what more could ya ask of a boat. and to me they seem to be just shy of a boat these days. mine is 5' shorter than my speed boat at 16', pwc at 11'. theses pwc handle any weather conditions, they are self bailing, with a bilge pump for back up. they have the latest in technology w/muli port fuel injection, computers ceramic coated cylinders. you name it it's got it. i've seen pics of them out ridein a 40' wave((not that i've personaly done that, but i would). will any boat do that. . i push the start button and it starts.
so why does everyone hate pwc. they are the ultimate in boat handleing and performance. i wish i could fiind a boat that would be so cool. and the new 4-stroke pwc seem like they may be mighty reliable. i'me expectin 1400 or so hours before rebuild. .
just to let ya know where i stand, i am highly considering sellin my pwc to fund repairs on my boat....reson being that i like to camp out on the river(missouri) and i can't take enough gear with me on the pwc. though i can do a day trip easy with some saddlebags. or perhaps headin for the motel up at souix city. i'm pretty versitile.
boating is more expesive than pwc'ing too, best i can tell. . i tow my pwc with a toy PU, 2 wheel drive @ 19mgp. the boat i tow with a 1 ton van @ about 10 mpg. my IL6 chevy and 998CC yamaha jet seem to be about compatibabe with fuel consumption...roughly,,,,

lastly, i just passed my Advanced piloting test in the power sqadron, i'm pretty proud of that, .there is so much more to boatin than anyone would think. think i will go for junior nav next, i wonder what i can do with that. perhaps i should start login my hours????.....:D will my pwc hours apply? i'd guess not.......

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: so why do you hate pwc.

I don't think most hate the pwc, they hate the redicoulous riders of the pwc. PWC's are a blast to ride. That is what makes people hate them. The donuts, wave jumping, fly by shore antics, and kids riding them are what kills them. Essentially all the things that make them fun in the first place.

studlymandingo

Commander

I agree with KB. I love boating, and I love riding a PWC. What sucks about the PWC is the riders. Only the disrespectful ones though. I was riding through a busy channel on my way to the Gulf of Mexico a few weeks ago. The traffic was pretty heavy so the water was crazy choppy; certainly no room for anyone being an a$$. Suddenly, out of nowhere, comes a guy on a PWC, from the far side of a large cruiser, he cuts to jump the large wake of the cruiser, and lands in the wake of the boat in front of me. This turns him straight for my boat, at a high rate of speed, we both turned very quickly and missed a crash by literally inches!!! :^

Had one of us turned the opposite direction, or not turned course at all, there would have been a big crash, and chances are, someone behind me or coming the other direction would have become involved. This guy was a complete idiot, reckless, and disrespectful.

There are lots of people out there on PWCs that have a similar disposition; I am a self-proclaimed adrenaline junkie, but I don't put others in harms way!!!

Boat and PWC safely and courteously, and there is no reason for anyone to hate YOUR PWC!!!

QC

Supreme Mariner

I actually think I have this figured out. PWC's make me an idiot too (not necessary to take the cheap shot). Heres's why: In a boat, generally you go from point A to point B. Whether you are going to the next fishing hole or the next hang-out cove, you are going somewhere. With a PWC, you are usually going nowhere. Hangin' by the beach, donuts at the launch ramp, jumping some poor guys's wake. When I have had one at the beach that I am hanging at, I'll get on it. Then I go around in circles, then I look for a wake. I turn into a knucklehead, and all because I am not taking anybody anywhere. I am not going anywhere other than in circles. That's my .02

Link

Rear Admiral

It's not the PWCs (aka Water Fleas)
It's the people riding them that don't follow the rules.

In general on lakes going from point A to B you travel counter clockwise. In WA state anyway. I'm cruising at 40 mph and a WF is comming towards me on my starboard side (wrong way) then cuts across my bow 40 ft in front of me!
He is only 10 ft from me as I pass him on my port side.

Thats why the bad rap.

Water Fleas are a blast when used safely.
My boat is really just a Big Water Flea also.
14ft 1500lb jet sled with a 90hp pump.

I love going out into the middle of a lake (out of traffic) Jumping my own wake.
Driving the bow (In circles) 3 feet under the water.
Swapping ends at 30 Mph and jumping out of the water!

It's just fun. :)
But I don't put other boaters in a dangerous situation!.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Kenneth said:
I don't think most hate the pwc, they hate the redicoulous riders of the pwc. PWC's are a blast to ride. That is what makes people hate them. The donuts, wave jumping, fly by shore antics, and kids riding them are what kills them. Essentially all the things that make them fun in the first place.
Diitos, KB! We calls 'em "water tVrds" around these parts.

Don't need to start a fight here too...
Edit: Now I can't take credit for that, I am a superdummy.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

I hate anything and anyone that disturbs the peace and tranquility of my fishing time.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Vlad said:
I hate anything and anyone that disturbs the peace and tranquility of my fishing time.

dittos on that one too! :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

I hate fishermen with their rods up their wazoo . . .

I'm kidding, but sometimes I am sure I P them O. I'll come into a cove, through transom exhaust (not my preference, but that's the deal with the current ride). Toss out the anchor, all of the kids start jumping out of the boat, and then they start asking for stuff. "DAD, CAN I GET A RAFT OUT?" "DAD, YOU SAID WE COULD FISH", "DAD, YOU SAID THIS COVE WAS COOL" "DAD, CAN YOU GET ME A DR. PEPPER?" "DAD, WHERE'S MY IPOD?".

And then the Fishermen always leave . . .

--GQ--

Chief Petty Officer

They hate it because they are jealous. Not to mention the superiority complex of boat owners. You will always have people looking for something to gripe about.

PWC is more for the younger generation. Can you imagine a 60 years old grandpa attempting a bunny hop.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I work at a dealership that sells SeaDoo and Kawasaki Jet Skis. The mechanics hate them due to the contorted positions required to work on them. Try working on your engine while reaching through a beer cooler shaped hole.

We have alot of older buyers and the newer "high powered" machines are pushing over 200 hp! However,..... they are very heavy and much tamer than before.

I tolerate them and the lake where I go we all seem to get together fine. As far as the losers that ride like maniacs .... I have spoken to a few and they are not so "tough" while they are at the ramp. They tend to heed the warnings or face the consequences.

tommays

Admiral

To be honnest after they made everybody here take a PWC safety course and enforced it there really is not a problem it use to be

Now if only they would do the same thing for 40 ft boat owners passing me in a narrow channel 15ft to starboard with a wake that just about stuffs my bow things would be a bit safer :(

Today was a real WOW i had two guys one on port and one on starboard freaking !!S holes could you get a littel close i cant smell you yet :devil:

Tommays

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

This is a good case of the actions of a few reflecting on the group as a whole..............or would that be one ''a'' hole?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yup.

I don't hate PWCs or even dirt bikes, but I do hate the way they ruin my environment when in the hands of irresponsible and thoughtless operators.

That goes also, of course, for the jerks in the big, loud, fast boats that behave the same way.

Somehow, there are enough courteous operators of big boats that they haven't gotten the bad rep that PWCs have.

A young fella wanted to know if he could set up an off-road course here at The Hideout to run his bikes and OR vehicles. I did manage to remain civil, but just barely.

ziggy

Admiral

thanks for all the insight folks. it appears from the comments in general that education goes along ways. whether it's about boats or pwc. I will admit that I've learned a lot while attempting to get educated through the usps. I started boating when I was abouts knee high and big enough to grab the oars on my granddads ol 14' Larson wood fishin boat. common courtesy seems to be the other notable insight here. we all love to have fun at the lake, river or ocean. but least we should not forget that our fun, may not be someone else's fun.

it seems likely in the end that we can all get along together and have fun too. we just need to be mindful of the kind of disturbance our vessel has and the ramifications of that disturbance on others...........happy and safe boating wishes to all........

ZmOz

Captain

ziggy said:
I will admit that I've learned a lot while attempting to get educated through the usps.

Are you going to use your PWC to deliver mail?:0

ziggy

Admiral

try this link.

http://www.usps.org/newpublic1/guesthome.htm

guess it was my bad for assumin everyone on a boat forum would know what usps stood for......sorry about that capt'n....:^

hope the link helps clarify what usps really stands for......:)

have a great day foks......

sanssouci

Petty Officer 2nd Class

...what's the difference between a sea-doo & ski-doo

A ski-doo goes out and uses a trail. A sea-doo does it in your front yard. They're both fun...but follow the rules.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Ditto,

It's not the water flea itself, its the riders, and their complete and I mean complete disregard for anyone but themselves. (Not everyone but a disporportionate amount of PWC operators) Safety, courtesy, be damned. Ripping up ramps, beaches, shallows, driving without regards for anyone around them, not watching where they are going, operating in swim areas, failing to observe rules of the road, the list is endless.

Not all of them, but 95 out of 100 times that I see something completely devoid of thought it involves a water flea. With that said I have seen a marked decline in the above mentioned behavior this year. I hope this trend continues.