Yamaha 15 vs. Mercury 15 both 2 strokes

rosscopeeko

Seaman
This is my first post guys and i need some of your expert insight. I've never owned a boat of my own and i'm about to purchase one for salmon fishing in the Fraser River. Anyways, i need to know which motor i should go for in terms of reliability, power, durability, etc. I just phoned about a mercury 15 which the guy claims is a 2006 just bought in June, used on time. He said it didn't work on his Zodiac because it was too big and wouldn't plane out his boat. The dealer won't take it back so he's got it for sale. he also said it's too choppy on his boat: whatever that means?? Anyways, i had my mind set on a yamaha 15 2 stroke but is this mercury just as good? I was a little worried when i heard the latest smaller mercury 2 strokes were made my Tahaitsu or whatever it is. I want the best for my money. The motor is going to push a 12ft. Princecraft Ungava eventually. Could you give me a brief summary of the positives and negatives if you've owned these motors. Like i said, both are 2 stroke short shafts. Thanks again.

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Yamaha 15 vs. Mercury 15 both 2 strokes

they are both great engines ..... weren't to happy either when I heard about Tohatsu and Mercury as I always been a Merc fan, but what I can tell you is that I have a 1980 15hp yamaha and still to date has never ever givin me any kind of troubles ........

rosscopeeko

Seaman

Thanks for the reply deejaycee. I just went to look at the Mercury and it's brand new. Not a scratch, not a mark. Has 1 hour on it and has burnt 1/8 of a tank. It has a sticker on it that says 2006 model. Looks like a really nice motor. I really wish it was a Yamaha in this condition but...., i guess it's a good motor. The owner wants 2000 Canadian for it. Was bought this June. I just might go for it. Anyone else who wants to convince me not to buy it because Taihatsu isn't that good???

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

no matter which engine you get rossco, you will be buying a fine engine that will give you many years of great service if you treat it the way it should be treated. I, along with deej am and most likely will always be a merc fan, but i am not going to bash against yamaha because they make a very nice product too as does any major manufacturer today. In these days of advanced technology, if you are buying a brand new engine, you cant go wrong as they all are good IMO.

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

"just as good" oftentimes is in the eye of the beholder.

Happily, eIther outboard will give you many years of good service and reliable use if you take care of it properly. No matter which way you go you can't lose.

From the way you describe that Merc I would buy it and not look back, knowing that I got a good motor at a good price.

Bwalker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Buy the Yamaha!

DEF

Cadet

Seems odd that the Mercury would not plane a Zodiac. Zodiac claims all of there inflatables will plane with two passengers on 10 hp.

rosscopeeko

Seaman

Well the owner said it scared him as it pitched his cheap ass inflatable mercury style zodiac upright. He had his daughter in the boat with him so he was worried and he also said he thought it was going to break the transom so he let off. he said it has tonnes of power though. I told him over the phone i'm taking it. Got it for $1900 can. which is $1000 cheaper than the yamaha and this is an 06 model too. We still have them in Canada. It's brand new and still needs a break in. if i'm not happy i'll just sell it for what i paid without a problem. Thanks for all the help guys.

rosscopeeko

Seaman

Ok, this saga is over. I went and picked it up today and she is mint mint mint. Looks brand new and even came with 7/8 of a 5 gallon tank full of fuel and break in mix (25:1) so i know he only used it for an hour or less. He paid $3000 for it in June ( i have the receipt) so i'm a happy camper. Now to try it out on a Lake before i take it out on the big River for Sockeye season. Thanks for the help boys, i'm stoked.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

The Tohatsu built Merc will serve you well. That motor has been very solid. There is still a stigma about Tohatsu by some folks just based upon the lack of their familiarity with the Tohatsu name. Tohatsu/ Nissan has been around for a very long time- but it is still a bit obscure here in the US. Their products are sold under the Nissan, Tohatsu, and Mercury names.

I am questioned by folks all of the time at boat ramps that have never seen a Nissan- especially on a walleye boat! :)

Bwalker

Petty Officer 1st Class

ziemann said:
The Tohatsu built Merc will serve you well. That motor has been very solid. There is still a stigma about Tohatsu by some folks just based upon the lack of their familiarity with the Tohatsu name. Tohatsu/ Nissan has been around for a very long time- but it is still a bit obscure here in the US. Their products are sold under the Nissan, Tohatsu, and Mercury names.

I am questioned by folks all of the time at boat ramps that have never seen a Nissan- especially on a walleye boat! :)
I have used the Mercs in question at my fishing lodge. While we had better luck with the 15hp Merc than the 25hp I wouldnt call there reliability outstanding and definatly not up to Yamaha or Johnson levels. They also do not ahve a choke sytem so d\clearythe carb of water when you get a bad tank of gas isnt possible.
I might add however that we only ran 4 of the 15 hp Mers as our operation primarly uses 6hp and 25 hp motors.

DEF

Cadet

Wish I could find one like that for $1900 us.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

rosscopeeko said:
Ok, this saga is over. I went and picked it up today and she is mint mint mint. Looks brand new and even came with 7/8 of a 5 gallon tank full of fuel and break in mix (25:1) so i know he only used it for an hour or less. He paid $3000 for it in June ( i have the receipt) so i'm a happy camper. Now to try it out on a Lake before i take it out on the big River for Sockeye season. Thanks for the help boys, i'm stoked.

Congrats ...... enjoy ....