Power Pack test

100es72r

Cadet
I have a 72 Johnson 100hp with the single power pack and single coil on the back of the power head. There are 5 wires going into the pin connector from the power pack. Is there any way that I can test that power pack? I do not have any spark at all on any of the four cylinders. The motor was running at 3/4 speed, then died. Restarted a couple of times and ran shortly, then died. Now, no spark at all. The power pack was replaced once several years ago when Dad had it. I kind of remember similar symptoms then. I do not want to guess and spend $300 for the pack and find that it was not the problem. Thanks.

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Power Pack test

Generally it is the amplifier,but sometimes the sensor under the flywheel.Also you have a clipper circuit,that is hard to diagnos.

Because of the scarcity of parts,as well as the cost ...

Maybe find someone who can actually diagnos this in person.

DHP

100es72r

Cadet

DHPMARINE said:
Generally it is the amplifier,but sometimes the sensor under the flywheel.Also you have a clipper circuit,that is hard to diagnos.

Because of the scarcity of parts,as well as the cost ...

Maybe find someone who can actually diagnos this in person.

DHP

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer

Better yet how do you test the coil on that motor because I have the same problem and the only thing left on mine that is not new is the coil but want to know how to test a coil. I have asked this question several time but never got an answer.