Last minute Sierra trip

QC

Supreme Mariner
One of my good friends just bought a motor-home and asked my two youngest boys and me to go with him and his daughter to the Sierras last weekend. This is 5 hours north from LA and although I have been often in the Winter this is only my 3rd time camping up there. Never at this place before, Rock Creek, and it was spectacular.

The new coach:

100_1378%20resize.jpg

View on a hike:

100_1366%20resize.jpg

We rented this little boat on Rock Creek Lake:

100_1339%20resize.jpg

The 10 YO skunked dad and his 13 YO brother. Sweet justice:

100_1340%20resize.jpg

Fishin' Jeff

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Last minute Sierra trip

Sounds and looks like a blast! Good job to the youngun! Looks like a beautiful place to camp.

Ron G

Commander

Way to go for the youngon thats an awsome veiw.

Skinnywater

Commander

Yeah QC those pictures say a lot.
A lot of people get a picture that California is all L.A. and San Fransisco.
Yet the Sierra's run through the whole state top to bottom.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Great pics QC. Gotta love it when ya get out fished by the young uns. 8)

Kiwi Phil

Commander

You certainly make me envious QC.
Been a long time since I have seen country like that....bright green with clear clean water........and of course, are they Fontaine Trout?
I didn't realise you had sons aged either side of mine. Its a good time with them at that age, they still want to be with you, and that sort of dissappears when they get older and the girlfriends arrive etc.
Thanks for the shots.
Cheers
Phillip

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]Don't worry Phil, they come back when the money runs out or they need a good home cooked meal. 8)

Great pics Kevin, beautiful country.

Ron G

Commander

Skinnywater said:
Yeah QC those pictures say a lot.
A lot of people get a picture that California is all L.A. and San Fransisco.
I always thought thatd:)

LadyFish

Admiral

Wow, absolutely gorgeous countryside QC. :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

I thunked you were wester?

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

techno or QC,
That looks absolutely gorgeous!
It sounds like you weren't too far from me. What is the nearest town? The wife and I are looking for good camping sites. We really miss camping. :(

AK Chappy

QC

Supreme Mariner

I honestly woulda stopped even with the kids etc. Made one stop in Big Pines at the campground in town. Then did the BIshop grocery routine. I seen you post your whereabouts onced, but don't member . . . clues?

Evidently we are talking about a different Rock Creek. I am computing in my mind where 5 hours would get you going up 395, certainly East of me. Help Chappy and me as well. I have driven that stretch and I do mean stretch and it seems to me that you must of had a rocket sled on rails. I know I have seen that skyline before but it looks more like central sierra rather than Eastern Slope. Please help me zero in. Chappy would appreciate a pin point as well.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

You are right Techno!! That is a stretch of road.
We drove it two weekends ago. I found a "Rock Creek" Road north of Bishop in MS Streets and Trips, but it didn't look right.

AK Chappy

QC

Supreme Mariner

Sorry guys. Yes, North of Bishop. Do you know Tom's Place? Same exit. Another 10 miles to Mammoth. Rock Creek Road is the one, AK. You take it until it ends (I think it actually runs South from 395) there is a trail-head, and literally 100 yards from there and you start to see that view. Awesome!!! I am totally convinced now that you can take anyone from 5 - 75 on that trail.

Rock Creek Lake (the boat pic) is halfway to the trail-head, about 9 miles from 395. There is a B & B type place and a store as well.

Kiwi,

They're Rainbow Trout. Stocked fish for the lake. There are indigenous fish (native) where we are hiking, but they are small, 6 inch or so. Those stockers are about 12 inch fish.