Sad story from NY

dutch135

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is a link to a story with some pictures of an accident that happened over the weekend in the Adirondacks in NYS. Imagine the horror of an accident like this, then the driver leaving the scene to swim to shore and denying driving.
Sad, very sad:'(
http://www.newzjunky.com/record/0724boat.htm

anyfishlldo

Seaman
Re: Sad story from NY

How fast did this idiot have to be going, at 2 AM no less, to get 150 feet inland?

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thats why I don't allow any drinking on any of my boats, and I don't ride with anyone else that has any type booze on board.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Here in Ma. we have a senator who didn't even need a boat.He drove a car off a bridge back in 1967 or so.

I don't hold judgement against anyone's actions in cases like this,at the scene.I have been that deer in the headlights a few times.And I have been very stupid before jumping on hoods (grin)

What does amaze me is the lack of maturity in youth these days.Seems the age span now goes from the teens into the early twenties.

DHP

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

And it always seems the idiot that created the problem comes away unscathed and other innocent people are killed and mamed.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

Fathers need to talk to their daughers about drunk boyfriends alot more then they do!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Youth + booze + boats or cars + irresponsibility have always = catastrophe.

It is not new. It happened in my youth, too.

Being an old (person) I am required to think "today's" youth are worse than 1940s-1950s youth, but it is not so. I simply look at it through a different prism.

Like RetNav, I do not allow booze on my boats.

LFK

Petty Officer 1st Class

wajajaja said:
Fathers need to talk to their daughers about drunk boyfriends alot more then they do!
Agreed. Fathers also need to talk to the daughter's boyfriend about being responsible.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I don't think "booze on boats" was the problem here. The problem was a drunken moronic sot.
Having a beer while anchored up in a cove for the night is not going to cause a catastrophe.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i still believe a safe boating course should be a requirement before registering a boat. and all operators need to be certified. ours worst offenders are the new Uppie crowd with the 22' and up boats, that have no care about there wake or rules of the water.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree Tasha'sDaddy. I signed my 13 year-old-son up for a boating safety course and then attended with him. Helped me brush up and I believe it helped him learn more. He is 14 now and I still go out with him the first few times to make sure he is being safe. In fact, he is a safer driver than 90% of the other people on the lake.

(He also has all of 7.5 HP on a 14' Jon boat to control)

I don't know what it is with drunks that kill people and then claim they weren't driving. My niece was riding with "the designated driver" when he went up an off ramp. There were 4 people ages 20 and 21 in the head-on accident with the other car. The designated driver was the only one to survive. He claimed that my niece was driving even though her body was still buckled in the passenger seat.

He was sentenced to community service which he did refused to complete and he was also ordered not to drink which he did anyway. He is finally in prison.

My Sister-in-law and her husband were sued by the parents of the kids in the other car because the car was registered in their name. They in turn had to sue the drunk kid's insurance company so they could settle the other claim. So they lost their daughter and had to pay a $2Million claim to the parents of the other dead kids

To make things worse, the College she was going to when she died entered something wrong into the computer on her student loans which then reported to the credit agency that my brother-in-law was dead instead of my niece. He was on a business trip and his credit cards stopped working. It took him over a year to get it straightened out.

To make things even worse, in the meantime, someone stole my nieces credit card number during the time they were trying to straighten this out and started charging things.

Over 1,200 people attended her visitation. They ran for it for 12 hours and finally had to turn people away.

Some times bad choices are made that no one can take back. My niece made a bad decision, the guy she was riding with made a bad decision.

Just to be clear, I did not want the driver to be put in prison. That does not bring my niece or the other 2 people back, but I wanted him to complete his community service which was to go to high schools and talk to the kids about the consequences of bad decisions and drinking and driving. We all saw that as the only good thing that would come of this. His refusal to complete the community service took that away too.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

tashasdaddy said:
ours worst offenders are the new Uppie crowd with the 22' and up boats, that have no care about there wake or rules of the water.

Which is why the Canadian Gov't initiated boaters cards, starting with boats 12 feet and under.

Lots of guy on the ocean who need to have the card for their dinghy, but don't need it for their 30-40 foot yacht.

I need one for my 12 foot with an electric motor but not my 18 foot with 115hp.