j200 wont start

Stumedic

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: j200 wont start

The red lever has to be in the run position, which you can tell as it has a detent. It's slight, but it's there. The overheat alarm that you mentioned may not have been to indicate overheating, but to indicate a fuel line obstruction. I don't know about the 200, but my 175 has a fuel alarm. The spun flywheel probably happened before you owned the motor, but I would try to find a used one as if it spins again it will damage your crank. Why not try draining the carbs and run some omc carb cleaner through them.

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you pump the bulb and it doesnt get hard then gas is flowing right pass the pump diaphram and going into your engine then out the exhaust. had the same problem and the fuel pupm was the problem,,if you take the pump off and blow into the fuel side air should not come out the pluse limiter side this is where the hose on the far left of the (vro/oms)that goes from the bottom of your engine to the pump..air should not blow out of there...mine did which filled my engine with alot of gas which then came out the exhuaust on mine 1996 200hp oceanpro

astropluto

Seaman Apprentice

Stumedic, thanks I ordered a new primer selonoid. Apparently the previous owner left it in the manual position just enough so when you pump the primer ball some fuel would bypass, this way he didn't have to take the cowl off. An old man told me that trick and I've been tricked. The spun flywheel thing. i hooked up whith the machinist at work and we went and looked at a new one. Mine wasn't that bad we cleaned it up. Oh yea, i work on airplanes for a living (military type in NJ by the way).

Drem, thanks too. i tried it. looks like my new fuel pump is good, my old one isn't so good.

Ive got the carbs apart now, it's the last thing in the chain and if anybody says E-10 fuel doesn't mess anything up, send them on over to my house.
Thanks guys anymore ideas are welcome.

astropluto

Seaman Apprentice

Carb question:
the book says the mixture screw should be turned out 2.5 times for a 1995 200hp.
I have found that mine are out 5 turns. Which is for 1996 to 1998.
is there a reason for this that someone might know.
A change maybe.

oh yea i have been finding little jellaton globs here and there in the carbs.

Stumedic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Lose the J200 and bolt in a F100-PW-200. I think 25000 pounds of thrust should get you going. Glad you just about have the problem licked. Stu

astropluto

Seaman Apprentice

I would if I could.
Carbs are now clean as a whistle.
It still wont stay running for longer than a couple of seconds. It seems starved for fuel still.
I know the fuel pump is working, I messed up a float and while it was running for the couple of seconds one carb was overflowing.
Thanks for the support.
:'(

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Use a spray bottle and shoot some premix into the carbs when it sarts to die, if it revs up then at least you know it is a fuel problem.

astropluto

Seaman Apprentice

Fuel problem is fixed.
Still wouldn't Start.
I rechecked for spark and only one plug gets any spark.
Its wierd the only time its starts is at WOT. Everything under the flywheel is connected and my timer base moves freely.
Cool thoughts
Thanks

astropluto

Seaman Apprentice

Here's an update if anyone whants to know.
Timer base failed the ohms check. So I got a new one. It still only starts at WOT, but only for a few seconds. I had to order a power pack, I just hope I'm going in the right direction.
I also found out that it's not a 1995 it's a 1994. Who would have thought that the same ID plate would tell you 2 different things. Model# is J200TXERK.I' still trying to figure out which spark plugs I should use. The Idle mixture setting is still a question, for right now I turned it out to 5, thats what it was.
Well if anyone has any ideas I should would appreciate them
Thanks

astropluto

Seaman Apprentice

Finally got a new powerpack. Now it runs for 10 to 20 seconds real good before it dies.
I tried keeping it alive whith the primer bulb to no avail.
Oh I changed the bad primer selonoid while i was at it. Nothing helps.
Does anyone have directions or something on how to make a good spark tester. Doing it one at a time is getting old.
Thanks

astropluto

Seaman Apprentice

I redid the trouble shooting procedure again. The Stator was only putting out 117 volts so I changed it. This thing still wont run. I whent through the ignition system and fuel system, what else could there be. I think it just doesn't like me.
Any ideas would certainly help.
Hopefully thanks

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How accurate is your compression tester, many of them are not very accurate. You may want to try a leakdown test or just pull the heads and get a look inside. #5 is more than 10% lower than the other cylinders.

Stay on track, all the motor needs is the proper fuel mix to be compressed and ignited at the right time.

Have you checked the timing?

The last time I had a motor act like yours it was a blown main bearing. Pull the plugs and see how hard it is to turn the flywheel by hand.

astropluto

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I will try staying on track, It is becoming more difficult as the days wear on. The wife gave up already.
I can't keep it running long enough to actually check and see where the timing is at.
I will do a leakdown test tonight.
I wish there was a way to see whats happening inside without taking it apart.
I can turn the engine by hand with the plugs in. I will do both to see what the difference is.

astropluto

Seaman Apprentice

Tonights adventure. I couldn't borrow a compression tester to do the leakdown test, but I did recheck the idex of the flywheel. If the upper cylinder on the starboard side is #1 then the flywheel is in the correct possition.
I hooked up my timing light and tried to see where I was at. The light proved that I have erratic spark, I get the most spark at WOT. I tried advancing the timerbase as much as I could but it made no difference.
I turned it over by hand with the plugs out and everything seems to work right exept it makes the same sound as a seal.
All plugs were wet when I took them out, so all cylinders are getting fuel.
Any ideas on what else could be making the spark so erratic would be great.
Thanks

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A bad key switch can cause erratic spark.
Disconnect the kill circuit wire from the power pack(s), not sure on your motor but I think it's the black wire with the yellow stripe. The key will not turn the boat off at this point so you will have to reconnect the wire to shut it down.
That would be a nice problem to have at this point huh?

astropluto

Seaman Apprentice

I disconnected the shift circuit and the kill circuit. It still has erratic spark. I also added an extra known good ground to the block, I attached it in various places, still no change. Something somewhere is making this happen.
If there was any thing else I could isolate the ignition from maybe I could find out why.
Well at least the fish are happy.

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What color wire was it?
The shift "kill" circuit diables the starter solenoid so that you cannot start the engine while in gear, aka nuetral safety switch.
The wire I was talking about goes to the ignition switch, with the switch in the off position it grounds the ignition kill circuit to the power pack.
When corrision builds up in the switch it can partially ground the kill circuit which causes erratic spark.

astropluto

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry, took so long to get back, Whent fishin (OPB Style). I disconnected 2 sets of wires. The first was the shift switch circut, 1 Black whith Yellow stripe. The second was the kill circuit, 2 wires (one connector) under the power pack one is Black the other is Black whith Yellow stripe.

astropluto

Seaman Apprentice

It Runs, Yea.
You were on the right track Scully. It was my ignition switch. I learned something cool though. When I disconnected the 2 pin connector that is supposed to isolate the ignition switch, it actually doesn't. The best way to check the ignition switch and wire harness is to disconnect the big red connector from the motor and start it by jumping the selonoid. Thats how it was actually found.
Thanks