2 hp evinrude leaking fuel from high speed nut

sharkman

Seaman
Hi there. I am just finsihing up some tune up work on a 1976 evinrude 2hp outboard i.e. cleaned the carb, replaced the inlet valve, needle, float and gaskets and then tested it in the water. It ran great with some adjustments to both the high and low speed needle valves...problem...when I got home I noticed that fuel was leaking from the bottom of the carb, and when I turned the high speed needle all the way in, it stopped

I did not work on the needles or the packing, etc...maybe I should have? Could th eplastic wahser have eroded after all these years. Apparently this motor had not run for 20 years

Sharky

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2 hp evinrude leaking fuel from high speed nut

Replacing the packing is standard procedure when rebuilding the carb. Take the carb back off and finish the job. Whatever carb kit you bought to get the inlet valve, needle, float, and gaskets must have come with new packing.

sharkman

Seaman

thanks my friend.....will get to it first thing tomorrow. gettin lazy i guess

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

"I did not work on the needles or the packing, tc...maybe I should have?"
Ya just answered your own question.........
Good motors...had a 72 and 76. Sold the 76. Made room in the casket for the other

sharkman

Seaman

ok. guys thanks..replaced the packing etc....still leaks. The problem is from the underside of the bowl, left side when facing yhe carb, there is a "plug' of some sort, and from the Solec manaul I see some models would have a screw here, but this is a metal plug...its leaking. How do I replace that?

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

If it's a small lead shot type plug they normaly reseal if you give them a rap with a hammer & punch, use a punch thats just a little smaller than the plug.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

OK, its called "Lead Shot": at the BRP site..

http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=e

What it does is plug the hole that is created from the hole drilling process when making the carb. Now, a solution? I'd pull it out (mine has a little tang sticking out of it just for that purpose I imagine), and start new. Clean it out, reuse, or find a fishing lead weight ball that will fit in there tight if possible, then JB weld it in. For extra good measure and piece of mind, over that stick a kneaded wad of JB "WaterWeld" over the end. Should do the trick. Don't bang and force ANYTHING on the carb body. Its cracks, then your USCWOAP

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

The reason the plugs are made of lead is so that they can be swollen into the hole by tapping them with a hammer, much the same way as the plug in the top of the carb that covers the low speed jets.
I would not put JB weld anywhere near the drilled passages of a carb if any drips through and blocks the hole you will need more than carb cleaner to get it out.
If giving the existing plug a tap does not cure the leak then you will have to pull the shot and fit a new one, get a new plug from your dealer, you will never get a fishing shot to seal because of the split in it.

sharkman

Seaman

allright, I will let you know how I make out and which route I take...thanks for your help

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Come on...ya put the split side out. Tap it in to seal... little JB for good measure. This aint Rocket science here (Machinist 35 years)

RPJS said:
The reason the plugs are made of lead is so that they can be swollen into the hole by tapping them with a hammer, much the same way as the plug in the top of the carb that covers the low speed jets.
I would not put JB weld anywhere near the drilled passages of a carb if any drips through and blocks the hole you will need more than carb cleaner to get it out.
If giving the existing plug a tap does not cure the leak then you will have to pull the shot and fit a new one, get a new plug from your dealer, you will never get a fishing shot to seal because of the split in it.

sharkman

Seaman

Okay I decided to gently tap the plug back into place and the leaking stopped. The engine was running great until I took it up to the lake to go fishing and while running it at high speed, it suddenly quit......and to this day it won't start. Did the routine checks and got to checking for spark and there was none.

I pulled the flywheel, all appears to be in order but what could be wrong now!

Thanks again

Mark