seperating tthe cap from the hull???

whisker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hi guys,
i trying to remove the cap from the hull to gain access to everything. i hav a 91 wellcraft fish. the floor is in perfect shape but to me it looks like the floor and cap are 1 single piece. can i get this to come off at same time or what do i do?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: seperating tthe cap from the hull???

Pull the rub rail, disconnect all your wires and steering, (gather a bunch of friends) under the rub rail you might see screws or riviets .... get them all out. That should do it.

LIFT!

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

I am doing the same thing on my rebuild...

Unscrewed caps from rub-rail...pull rubber insert out carefully...unscrew all screws...grind down/drill out rivots...

front came up "reasonably" easy...BUT...

Stern looks like it has been glassed to the transom...looks like I am going to have to grind/dig out the old transom before I will be able to separate the top. :(

You may have the same situation.

-JMW

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let me know if I should be starting another thread, but....

How do you get the rubber back into the rail. I need to remove mine also, but I'm scared :%

Can you just pound it back in with a mallet?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It slides in like a track from one end. Use WD40 (lots of it) and grasp one end with a vice grips and pull, helps to have someone guide it in. Oh lot's of patience!

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I'll buff around it :%:%

tommays

Admiral

I have taken apart a 16 and 18 ft Donzi to change fuel tanks and there was a WHOLE lot of of glass holding the deck to the hull that was hell to cut

Tommays

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

Whiskar, you still with us, buddy? I feel like a highjacker.

whisker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

im still here... its all good ..all input wanted

rost495

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On the rubber insert into the rubber rub rail, we always put the insert into a heat cabinet. Then it got pretty hot and was very pliable and would insert the bottom in and slide the top in with a smooth screwdriver blade along the way. Worked pretty good as I recall it. May still work today. I know the rubber was way more easy to work with hot.

Jeff

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

Should there be a thin strip of rubber between the boat halves to keep water from coming in?

rost495

Petty Officer 2nd Class

have never seen one. My current project had silicone along that seam but I did not replace it. Actually see no need to though I may get paranoid and go back and do it anyway one day if I have time before I buy new rope and put it in.

IF any water gets in there it should be no different than water over the sides anyway.

Jeff

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Between my 2 halves (the top overlaps the bottom) there is a 2" wide strip of (what looks like) bathroom caulking tape...you know..the stuff you can use instead of actual caulk. I don't know if this is factory or from an earlier repair job. I was thinking of just leaving it there...since I am of the same mind as rost495...water is going to get into the boat from tubers/swimmers etc...

Just spent 2 days grinding and still havent got the tramsom section separated...*growl*

-JMW