Convert points to HEI

wesleyhunter

Cadet
I wanted to convert my point system to an HEI. I checked with MSD and they make a nice drop in unit, but it is pretty expensive. CAn anybody suggest a different route. CAn I use one off a plan Chevy truck? Which one?
1986 Malibu Skier 5.7L

-Thanks
Wes

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Convert points to HEI

Another way of getting there is wiring in a Merc. T-Bolt VI.......

They sometimes go for Next to Nothing on ebay...........

The Automotive stuff Isn't Spark Protected,............. That makes your Boat,.... A Bomb.....

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Check out the D.U.I. marine units that Performance Distributors sells. I have one of their non-marine HEI's on my CJ-7 and it's great. performancedistributors.com.

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am in the process of converting my Thunderbolt system to a MPFI system from Holley. I'll have a rochester intake, 4 barrel carb, distributor and cap, thunderbolt ignition IV unit, etc. Pretty much anybody would need. How interested are you? I even have the 3/8 fancy bend gas line from mechanical pump to carb inlet. I just rebuilt the carb last year and it runs perfect.

jastacey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd convert the point system to the Pertonix "Ignitor- II electronic ignition kit with the Flame-Thrower - II coil, I did it to my boat and have been pleased with the performance, and it only took a couple of hours to do.

JasonR

Seaman Apprentice

I don't recall my Pertronix being "marine". Its got to be less spark hazard than any points:$