Fiberglass Boat floor replacement

ToyBoat5X

Seaman Apprentice
hello,

I am a new boat owner and in the process of replacing the floor. what suggestions do you have for a noob? there was foam under the floors that were pretty soaked. what and how much should i use to replace it?
The boat i have is a 16' Glastron

btw what type of resin should i use and how much of it? Should i cover the plywood with fiberglass on both top and bottom, i've heared somewhere that its not good to do that.

thanks for any help

Andy

dmarkvid2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fiberglass Boat floor replacement

If your foam is soaking wet, and your floor is soft, chances are that the stringers below the floor are rotted too. It would be a good idea to check the transom for rot.
Use an epoxy resin. "West Systems" is a good brand to use. The plywood should be sealed on ALL sides with an epoxy, and the top side of the decking is all that should be fiberglassed after it is laid down. You can use a two part chemical expanding foam, or use a two inch thick pink industrial styro foam 2" x the thickness of your area to be filled.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are a lot of similar documented projects on this site. Do a search and you should be able to read for days.

ToyBoat5X

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the reply

should i use wet systems or cpes? if i cover it with either one will it be okay to put fiberglass ontop of it?(will it stick?)

thanks
Andy

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Using West system isn't necessary, especially if you have a bugdet for the project. Get a good quality poly or vinylester resin. The stringers need to be glassed not just coated with resin.

Dig out all the old foam and stringers. Then grab your grinder and grind out all the bad glass. Bad glass is usually already delaminating or has a black color to it. And for glass get a collection of 1.5 oz mat and a db stitchmat (eg. 1708 or 1808). The stitchmat is where the bulk of the strength lies and I like the mat is for the final layer before finishing and fairing. Gelcoat the bilge for an easy cleanup when necessary.

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

The first thing you need to do is, as fishingdan said, research, research, research. Know exactly how to finish this project before you even start it. There are a lot of setbacks you could run into if you are not prepared, from irratating your lungs and skin with fiberglass to grinding through your hull, etc. GET YOUR LEARN ON.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats...
What model/year Glastron did you get?

My suggestions:
1. We here at iboats live for project pictures...make sure you take plenty!!!!

2. As said above...do a search on floor replacement or stringer replacement or transom replacement...you will find about a year's worth of reading.

3. Click on the link in my signature...that will bring you to shareaproject.com. There you can look a lots of peoples restorations and get an idea of what to expect. You can create your own project to post pictures and comments for FREE! (This forum, all advise here and shareaproject site are probably the only things that are gonna be free concerning your new boat).

4. Have fun. If the project gets overwhelming...step back..take a breath...

Good luck!

-JMW

ToyBoat5X

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the help guys! I have taken many pictures so, I will post it when im done. I love pictures so hopefully my pictures of my restoration will help others. =)

JMW, I have a 1972 glastron with a 1979 mercury 90hp 6cyl. motor(needs water pump tho)

Yesturday I removed the rear half of the floor and the stringers are pretty soaked and weak. the one on the side split completely in half horizontally. :|

I have decided to use cpes epoxy with 18oz mat ( this will cover the floor and stringers.)

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Need to check the transom for rot also before you get to far. Often it goes south when the rest heads that way.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Agreed! Check the transom.

18oz mat? Do you mean woven roving.

ToyBoat5X

Seaman Apprentice

18oz mat? Do you mean woven roving.

Yeah sorry, I ment woven roving.

I will check the transom and hope and pray that its still good. Or could i just pour some cpes epoxy down in the transom so it can harden up? I think I heard that from somewhere :/
Hopefully I can if it comes to it..

Thanks
Andy

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Andy-
If the transom is rotted you really need to replace the core

ToyBoat5X

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone for your help.

I have decided to go with West systems epoxy with biaxial fiberglass. I also bought foam. Im gonna use marine grade plywood on the floors and Coosa board on the transom(rotted to hell).

Thanks,
Andy

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

That sounds like a nice aresonal for the project. THe Coosa board is great, what thickness board did you opt for?

How about some destruction pics.

COB

Recruit

I got the same problem! Worried about cutting the springers, keel boards supports from bottom of hull. Are they just glass/glued to the bottom hull?