Dead TLDI 70

nedsefton

Cadet
I have a 2003 TLDI 70 with less than 100 hours.

Two weeks ago my power trim failed to work from the console but would work from the motor only if the engine was running. Eventually it failed completely.
I swapped out the battery with a fresh one and initally the trim did not work at all. I started the motor and the trim started working. In fact it worked properly after that from the motor and console. I took the boat for a test run on a local pond and it worked great. At the end of the day, I pulled into a dock, cut the motor and now nothing works. The engine does not even turn over. I have replaced the battery with a freshly charged one and still nothing. There is current at the starter but the starter does not even engage. The fuses are all fine. I will trace all the wiring this week.
Has anyone else experienced electrical problems with the TLDI series? I have two fresh batteries that Tohatsu told me should be fine, although their information is not consistent with what is ont the web site.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Dead TLDI 70

TLDI's do not have electrical problems of the type that you are describing. What you have is faulty electrical wiring in your boat. It might be the Tohatsu harness or a bad connection. As to what size battery you need:

1000 CCA

Ignore what it is in your manual, on the website or what anyone else on the planet tells you. Anything less than 1000 will have you replacing the battery, wiring and/or troubleshooting the engine with each new year.

nedsefton

Cadet

AVALONPROGROUP said:
TLDI's do not have electrical problems of the type that you are describing. What you have is faulty electrical wiring in your boat. It might be the Tohatsu harness or a bad connection. As to what size battery you need:

1000 CCA

Ignore what it is in your manual, on the website or what anyone else on the planet tells you. Anything less than 1000 will have you replacing the battery, wiring and/or troubleshooting the engine with each new year.

nedsefton

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. I will trace down the wiring and get a more powerful battery.

D

DJ

Check your grounds-carefully. Especially the battery ground at the engine.