Cooling & Oil Problems/ Head Gasket ?

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
1971 ish 5.7 OMC Electric Shift O/D
I took the boat out early last week. While running out in 2 to 4's which can load up and warm an engine at times I paid no mind to a 160 F temp. (I usually read around 130) I smelled oil and noticed some smoke comming from the engine comp.. After raising the doghouse I noticed extreme blowby from the vlave cover at the carb hose 90 deg fitting. after checking it I noticed the heat from the valve cover had melted the fitting. The valve covers were very hot to touch as was the exhaust manifold (all unusual for my engine even after a good run out in the lake) I glanced at the temp again and it was 190 F. I throttled down and the temp went back down to 130 F and I was where I wanted to troll so I continued fishing and monitored the situation. No problems continued at lower RPMs. I noticed the oil had gone from 1/2 qt low to 1 qt low on that run. The next morning I checked the inlet hose at the intermediate, the hoses from the manifold to the thermostat and the waterpump to the engine all water flow looked to be normal. I removed the thermostat and tested it with no negetive findings. The following morning I took the boat out and at lower speeds it seemed ok so I took the kids out on the lake keeping the RPMs in the lower ranges experiencing no over heating and did a little more fishing before hauling out that afternoon. After hauling out I noticed an extreme amount of carbon residue on the exterior of the transom and after checking the oil noticed almost no oil on the stick all the while oil pressure was ok at 40 psi.
Could this be an indication to a blown head gasket though I don't have water in the oil?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Cooling & Oil Problems/ Head Gasket ?

It could be a head gasket. Hope for that. I'm thinking more along the lines of cracked head. Pull the sparkplugs and have a look. It'll show-up there if the motor has been run enough with them. That could force exhaust gasses into the cooling system at higher RPMs and not at lower allowing good cooling there.

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I sent my heads in to be checked and they are done. No cracks were found though they said the gasket was blown although not visble to me, guides & seals were replaced and valves re-seated. They said they shaved it .009 and afterwards it was pressure tested and passed well. I should replace the heads some time this week. Also there were cracks in the intake manifold under the carb at the base. That gets replaced as well.

Now, what could have caused the overheating?

I checked the raw water from the intermediate to the heat exchanger, the fresh waterpump (front) to the heat exchanger, thermostats, main water hose from pump to themostat housing and had flow to all. Before pulling the heads I ran the motor for a while and backflushed the cooling system then ran it on the hose hooked to the intermedite for a while. all ran well and it didn't heat up. could it be that the raw water pump impellar just doesn't pump enough at higher RPM's? Possibly a combination of all the above? cracked intake, leaky headgasket, bad guide seals yadda yadda?

Any info that help will certainly be appreciated.

KaGee

Admiral

Did you check the water flow through your exhaust manifolds? Also see how much water volume is being pumped from the drive to the thermo housing. Disconnect at the housing and see how fast it will fill a 2 gallon bucket. Should be fairly quick.

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes to both... I had a champagene sized flow coming out of everything.

KaGee

Admiral

OK, that's good.

I think it would be normal for it to run a bit warmer under load. I notice I run up around 180 @ 3200 under load, but it comes back down to around 165-170 @ 22-2500. Hard to say just how accurate the guage really is anyhow.

I would reassemble and go from there. A bad headgasket could cause your symptom.