Weed Trimmer Advice buying new

Link

Rear Admiral
We are going to buy a gas weed eater by the end of this month in the 150-200 dollar range.

I'm thinking 4 cycle would be nice. no mixing oil etc.

So far we have only looked at Troy Bilt both 2 and 4 cycle.
They use a quick disconnect system for putting other tools on.

Any input would be good as I dont have a clue.

Thanks

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: Weed Trimmer Advice buying new

Hey there Link, I bought one of those Troybuilt 4 stroke units 3 years ago. Got a blower and I use my pole saw attachement from another unit with it. I have no complaints except that the oil resivoir leaks a little over the winter. That doesn't bother me that much since it is a very slow leak.

It seems to have more torque, quieter, and smoother as for vibration. It does better with the pole saw than the 2 stroke did. I look at it as money well spent. Paid about $180 for it.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I've had an Echo 2 stroke since 1988. It still runs and starts flawlessly. I also have run it on 100:1 Amsoil since after break in. It gets regular use and I have never even had to change the sparkplug.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

SS said:
....It seems to have more torque.....

That is a good feature SS M. Two strokes tend to bog down when the weeds get the thickest.

ob

Admiral

I agree that mixing the gas is not much fun,but then I only have to mix it about once every three weeks in a gallon can.That said,I love my 21.2 CC straight shaft Echo weed eater.It makes high rpm waste of some mighty thich 2 foot tall Johnson grass.It's on its 6 th year and hasn't missed a beat.Just under $170 bucks at the Depot.Only thing I have to replace each year due to cracking is the dang fuel primer cup.Cheesy little buggers.

treedancer

Commander

I like my Honda wouldn’t have any thing else.

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I prefer models with a curved shaft but you may prefer a straight shaft. Go to Home Depot or Lowe's to try handling several different models to see which type you prefer.

I've always had pretty good luck with Echo equipment so if you were willing to pay a bit more and were interested in a straight shaft model I'd say take a look at the Echo SRM-210.

In your price range Consumer Reports rated the Stihl FS45 and FS45C (curved shaft) and the Husqvarna 125L (straight shaft) the highest, FWIW.

Link

Rear Admiral
Re: Weed Trimmer Advice buying new Update

Re: Weed Trimmer Advice buying new Update

ratracer said:
I prefer models with a curved shaft but you may prefer a straight shaft. Go to Home Depot or Lowe's to try handling several different models to see which type you prefer.

I've always had pretty good luck with Echo equipment so if you were willing to pay a bit more and were interested in a straight shaft model I'd say take a look at the Echo SRM-210.

In your price range Consumer Reports rated the Stihl FS45 and FS45C (curved shaft) and the Husqvarna 125L (straight shaft) the highest, FWIW.

ratracer
we tried each and every one of those exact models! To include Honda, craftsman and a whole list of others.

Thanks for the input. All good.
This has be a learning week for me on weed whackers!
In 1998 while doing some work for a disabled friend my electric smoked so I walked into the local hardware store and bought a el-cheapo homelite gas for 69.00.
For what it is I have no complaints. Had to replace the fuel line and primer though.
btw Lowes now sells a generic primer bulb with to fuel lines kit.

However the wifes hates it. Says she doest like the balance.
And this one is for her mom.
Picture going to the mall with your wife! Except this mall has a 20 mile dia and your drive between stores. Arrrg

First time around she play with each brand then write the models down and what she likes about them

Come home and read this post.
She then makes a list from here and the ones she wants to look at again.
She then narrowed the search to only 4 cycle.
Because its a hour round trip from the cabin to the nearest town to buy oil. This way she can use gas from the mower also.
So we go out again. 3 stores once, two twice and the last three times! Arrrrg!
She went for the very first troy-built that she looked at and liked! :devil:

On the way home I said well maybe for your moms B-day we can get the blower attachment for blowing leaves off her roof.

Mrs.Link mumbled something. I ask her say it again.
Gives me that look (in fun) I really didnt want to tell you.
She says that would be like giving it to me for my B-day.
Why I asked?

Well mom said she would pay for it. But to make sure it was something I really liked and would use.
Because she (her mom) has no intentions of ever trying to use it ! d8) d8)

We do all of the up keep on her house and 80% at her cabin.

btw we did not pick up the thing because we wanted more input from you guys first.
Tonight right before she went to bed I brought up this post and she was very pleased with the input.
So tomorrow we will pick it up and now that I have all the details will pick up the blower also :)

btw to add back I got two bits of info from the Stihl rep
between the Stihl FS45 and FS45C.

He said the FS45 had a lot more power (same motor) because the bend robs a lot.
And the FS45C come in two models with only like a ten dollar difference.

A different recoil starting system with about 1/2 the pull to start it. For elderly people or women.

Thanks for the input. It really helped.

Looks like Mrs.Link will have her very own weed wacker tomorrow and can stop (female dogging) about mine!

:) :)

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

I had a Ryobi for 7 Years that I thought was a pretty good trimmer. This was until I bought an Echo a few months ago. There's no comparison. The Echo is far superior and cuts tough weeds that the Ryobi wouldn't handle. The Echo was $199 at Home Depot. The curved shaft was cheaper, but don't remember what it was.

boling

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Another vote for the Troy-Built 4 stroke. So far 3 years and no trouble.