Bought some lake property

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Bought some lake property

Gary,

I do some development here in Florida and we have put in a few modular units in lately. There is a big difference between modular and manufactured. Manufactured houses are what are commonly known as "double-wides", modular homes are a bit more sophisticated. The modular construction is actually superior to site-built stick framing in several aspects; everything is built in jigs, so it is all square and true, the materials are never exposed to the elements during construction, so there are no rain delays, and the wood is not constantly exposed to the elements. The homes built for Florida exceed the hurricane code requirements for both Miami-Dade and FEMA regulations. Because of the tight construction, and the fact that they are built to factory tolerances, they are generally much more square and true than site-built homes which translates into more structural soundness. Mortgage companies and insurance companies recognize this type of construction as the same as site-built and rates are according. They are valued by appraisers the same as site-built. The amenities you apportion the home with determine the cost of the building, of course; the companies I have researched provide manufactured homes anywhere from 50-150 per square foot depending on how the home is outfitted. What are the companies you are getting quotes from? I may know a little about them.

Another type of construction that can save in time and some $$$ is panelized construction. There are many types of panelized construction as well, the type I have used is SIPS panels. They create a far superior product in my opinion to block and stick-frame construction. It qualifies for "green" tax credits, and is extremely energy efficient. It is a bit more costly than modular, but still less than stick-framing. The long-term savings in energy costs is pretty phenominal; this is the type of construction is what we use on many of our high-end homes, but we have recently used it on a couple of "affordable homes" because our city program has started to recognize the "green building incentive program".

bigdee

Commander

Gary, I have a modular in a gated community on the same lake across from Morrow Mountain. Due to the occasional high winds in that area I chose to build a modular. The construction was superior to what a site built spec house would have been. Price comparison was about the same but the advantages were many. There wasn’t any cost overruns, it was quick and easy, very little impact to the landscaping, but best of all it is built on 16 inch centers,walls,floors and rafters with 2x6 trusses. It is certified to withstand a F2 tornado,cat 3 hurricane and a D2 earthquake! Be prudent, there are doublewides passed off as modular homes. Do your homework before you buy!! You did not mention what neighborhood your in but I bet it is CFA.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Bigdee, Yes in Carolina Forest.
I think the modulars are built better after looking at a few.

Any suggestions on a builder?

Welome to Iboats!! Guess i'll have a boating neighbor too.8)8)8)

bigdee

Commander

Gary, welcome to CFA. I have been a member of iboats for several years but when they changed the forum format my account was lost into cyberspace.
The house I have was built by Crestline homes in Laurinburg and is sold through Select Homes who is the largest licensed modular home contractor in NC. I actually went to the factory and seen my house being built, I was very impressed.
I am an engineering type person and to see a house designed and built by engineers with documented data is was what sold me. The factory warranty is excellent, the issues I had were few and minor but the factory responded every time I called (even a year later). These are solid houses and I know 100 years from now this house will still be standing and overlooking this gorgeous view!!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thanks BigDee, Glad to know i'll have a neighbor.
Where does Select homes have their models?
I have heard of them but don't know where they are located.
I know of a huge modular dealer in Sanford and was thinking about checking them out also.
I looked at some stuff for sale in Twin Harbor but decided the camper land wasn't for me...lol
I can't wait to get something built. It's such a nice area.
I used to live in Fairway Shores about 15 years ago.
One divorce and years later i'm ready to move back to the area.
Thanks for the info! Maybe by spring we can do some fishing!!

bigdee

Commander

Gary, here is their website, www.selectmodular.com
They have locations in Albemarle, Richfield, Asheboro, Greensboro,Mocksville,Shelby and Laurinburg. Vanderbilt homes in Sanford used to be built by Crestline but they switched over to Carolina Building Solutions (CBS) out of Salisbury. A salesman that worked there told me CBS was 12% lower in cost than Crestline but Crestline was a better built home. Excel out of Raleigh builds a good modular home, so does All American homes of Century21 in Albemarle.
When shopping for a modular expect the price to be comparable to a site built home. Bargains can and often will lead to misery. You are welcome to look at my home it is not fancy but I can point out some features and share my modular experiences with you. Yah, we will have to work in some fishing, I’m not that good at it but I love to fish anyway…maybe I could learn a thing or two!