Mark42: MFG Question for you...

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mark,

I need another boat like I need a hole in the head, BUT.... There's an MFG right down the street from me that looks just like yours. No clue on model/year. Inside is absolutely shot. Hull, deck, transom area are in perfect shape though.

Can you tell me what's under the floor on these? I heard that they were all molded fiberglass stingers, etc. I don't want another full-blown restoration project, i.e., replacing stringers, etc., but wouldn't mind the boat if I just had to do the interior...

Thanks
Rick K

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Mark42: MFG Question for you...

Depends on the year and model. Check for a Hull ID plate on the inside of the transom. The older 60's smaller MFG's were almost all match metal pressure molded hulls and are very strong. The floor was one piece fiberglass that looks epoxied to a W corrigated stringer system with foam on alternating V's of the corrigation. Maybe 4 to 6 V total. You should be able to look into the lower of the two drain plugs in the rear with a flashlight to see what the construction is.

If the floor is solid, and you can pull up the carpet to check it out, it will be obvious that it is fiberglass and not glass coated plywood. Look for the original seat mounting holes, they will have black rubber plugs in them. Pull one out or push it through and you will see if the floor is glass or not.

Look where the floor meets the hull up front around the seats to see if it looks like a nice clean factory mating of floor and hull, or if it was replaced already.

Lots of these boats were cut into not realizing that they were fiberglass.

The reason these boats are still around is that they were built so tough. Generally woth the effort to put back in service.

The transom is still wood and can rot like any other, and at that age, there usually is some rot going on around the O/B mounting holes.

Plus, don't forget that the windshield will probably need replacing/fabricating, etc, etc, etc.

Can you post a few pics? The front deck and rear splashwell are key visual identification areas. Also, fiberglassics.com has almost all the brochures for the MFG line available on their website and you should be able to match the pics to the boat to determine year and model.

Let me know how it turns out!

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Mark... The boat's sitting on the ground, and is full of junk. Makes me think that someone got it under the pretenses of making it a project boat.

All the electronics, steering system, lighting, etc., have been stripped. The windshield is junk - cracked and faded.

I checked fiberglassics - They all look too similar for me to make a determination. BUT - these boats are nice, and I gotta have one!!!

I'm going to go knock on the door tonite, and see what the deal is...

Thanks for getting back to me.
Rick

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

A friend had a new16 ft MFG in the early 60s with a 40 Johnny.He ran it WOT over an exposed shoal in the dark.It distroyed the lower unit but only scratched the bottom of the boat.I was amazed.

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, the boat's gone. DARN IT. Don't know if the guy took it into his shop, or sold it. Woulda really loved to had it.

There's always next time...