95 150 Ocean Runner shift problem

stmakarius

Recruit
Engine developed a shifting problem late last season. Dealer replaced control cables - seemed to work at first but problem soon returned. Next time dealer pulled lower unit and cleaned salt build-up out of shift rod seals. Again, everything OK for 2 trips in Nov. and first trip this season, now it's grinding again when shifting to forward. Goes into reverse fine. I Intend to attempt fix myself this time - has anyone run across this one?

imported_lorin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 95 150 Ocean Runner shift problem

You might have a problem with the shift shaft and arm assembly, namely a broken weld. If you go to the BRP parts catalog on-line and find your motor you will see this part on the "cylinder and crankcase" page. It is part number 50 on that page. The part is located at the front, bottom of the engine on the starboard side, in front of and at the bottom of the crankcase and is rather difficult to see. It is a metal rod with an arm attached, and sometimes the weld at the attached arm can crack or break causing rough shifting. You have to look at it very closely to see the break and maybe even wiggle it but I have seen this problem numerous times when there was rough shifting and a lot of frustration at not being able to find the cause. If you need help finding the part on the motor or the BRP catalog let me know.

stmakarius

Recruit

lorin said:
You might have a problem with the shift shaft and arm assembly, namely a broken weld. If you go to the BRP parts catalog on-line and find your motor you will see this part on the "cylinder and crankcase" page. It is part number 50 on that page. The part is located at the front, bottom of the engine on the starboard side, in front of and at the bottom of the crankcase and is rather difficult to see. It is a metal rod with an arm attached, and sometimes the weld at the attached arm can crack or break causing rough shifting. You have to look at it very closely to see the break and maybe even wiggle it but I have seen this problem numerous times when there was rough shifting and a lot of frustration at not being able to find the cause. If you need help finding the part on the motor or the BRP catalog let me know.

stmakarius

Recruit

Lorin, that sure sounds like it could be the problem. I found the part on the BRP site and will check it on the engine. Thanks much for the help. I guess the lower covers need to come off?

imported_lorin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm sure removing the lower engine cover would make seeing things in there much easier. You might also take a good look at those other parts that make up the linkage between the end of the shift cable and the shift rod which goes down into the exhaust housing. Here's another good thing to try. Disconnect the shift cable at the motor. Start the motor. Then try shifting the motor into forward using your hand. Grab the part that the shift cable normally moves and move it with your hand. Try shifting in and out of forward and reverse a few time while you watch all the linkage. If the motor shifts in and out of forward and reverse smoothly then you know the problem is in the cables or your control box. If the motor still grinds, then you know the shifting problem is confined to the motor and not the cables or control box.