rules of etiquette

jim phillips

Chief Petty Officer
One of the best complements someone can offer you is an invite to fish with them. The reason it is such a high honor is because the experience is almost sacred to most of us. We work hard all week and the few hours we can spend on the water recharging, is the thing we look forward to more than any other. We all eagerly watch the marine forecast praying the weather will be clear for that one day we will be able to get offshore.<br /><br />On the rare day when it looks like everything will come together the task of finding a suitable fishing partner begins. I find this to be the hardest thing to get right. So many times I have had good trips ruined by the people I have invited. I let this happen usually once and if it does I’ll never ask that person again.<br /><br />If invited to go with someone there are some rules of etiquette you, as the invitee should keep in mind. Here are just a few:<br /><br />1. Pay your fair share. Fishing is expensive and the boat owner has a huge investment in his equipment and he shouldn’t have to beg to get half of the trip expenses. This includes bait, boat gas, car gas, food, ice and tackle. (Typically most offshore trips in a 20 to 25 foot boat cost around $100 a trip)<br />2. If you are prone to seasickness tell the captain before you go. He may not want to deal with it at all or he may want to establish some rules with you.<br />3. Don’t show up at the dock with every piece of fishing equipment you own. This clutters up the boat and almost always is unnecessary.<br />4. Ask the guy running the boat before you bring beer and cigarettes he may not like it.<br />5. Leave your #@^%@ marijuana at home. <br />6. Leave your #@^%@ handheld GPS at home unless of coarse your sharing your numbers.<br />7. If you have got to be back at a certain time, say that before you get 25 miles out.<br />8. Don’t ask if you can bring a friend. If I wanted your friend to go I would have asked him instead of you! (The exception to this rule is after a good relationship has been established and the boat owner trust the invitees judgment, but remember this is risky)<br />9. Tell the boat operator of any mental problems you might have. <br />10. NEVER ask the boat operator to do anything illegal like keeping short fish.<br />11. Have a current license when you get to the ramp. Don’t pull that crap of driving all around looking for a bait store that sells fishing licenses at 5 AM<br />12. Silence is golden and good conversation is great too but sometimes it’s nice to listen to the sounds of the gulf between stories of your fishing conquests. (This is especially true in really hot weather, slow fishing or dealing with some kind of engine problem. If it is really hot and the fishing is really slow and the port engine isn’t running right its best to say as little as possible)<br />13. Be clean! Don’t make a mess of the boat and don’t cut bait on every flat surface you see. Throw your trash where it belongs.<br />14. And Lastly BE ON TIME!!!!!!!!!! I have been known to leave the dock alone rather than wait an hour for someone to get his sorry butt to the ramp.<br /> <br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: rules of etiquette

You could also include an issue I have with certain folk......If invited to go fish, DO NOT return to the same spot 2 days later with your other buddies. Respect the man that showed you the spot and continue to find another.....(spot, not buddy, which you may be doing anyway if he shows up while you're there)

Old Jarhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Number 14 is the one that really sets me off...<br /><br />Had a neighbor that bugged me for months to take him out. So I set up a nice trip for he and I. Came time to leave and no neighbor!!! Waited for about 30 minutes and left without his sorry *** .<br /><br />When I got back I called this guy to find out what the heck happened. His reply, "Oh geez, I forgot all about it"....<br /><br />Maybe I'm being over sensitive but that was the last invite this guy got or will get from me.<br /><br />Sorry about the rant....

gaugeguy

Captain

I guess I am lucky. Other than my two boys, I have one fishing partner that I have had for 25 years. We alternate back of the boat, front of the boat every time out, and we keep a running tally of number and weight of fish throughout the season. He always buys the beer and I always trailer the boat. And on the occasion we invite someone else to go with us, we never take them to our honey holes. I have heard some horror stories about inconsiderate fishing partners though, I would not deal well with that crap.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Offshore and Inshore are two diffrent games. Never have had the oppertinity to play the offshore much but the other is simular just on a smaller scale. It just eat's my lunch to even think you would have to consider such things, but unfortanatly sometimes we do. Hope your next outing goes better.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Think I've encountered everyone on the list, at least once..<br /><br />Let me add to the list, please:<br /><br />#15 Ladies, and Gentlemen, take note!.. This boat is not equipped with a head (toilet) and I will NOT be taking you to the nearist marina every time nature calls... Hang it over the side, or hold it.. :eek:

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When I invite someone along, it is usually my treat and therefore I really dont expect money from folks. <br /><br />However, there are a few peeves I might add:<br /><br />-Leave your boom box and CD's at home. I have to listen to everyone elses music when sitting in traffic. The last thing I want to do is hear it while I'm trying to relax.<br /><br />-Leave your cell phone at home, If you are so important you would be flying on Air Force One instead of fishing with me.<br /><br />-Don't complain that the fish aren't biting while you're stuffing your face with donuts and chips. <br /><br />Kevin

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Stay out of the captains way unless he asks for your help. <br /><br />Let me net my own fish, at least till I know you are capable.

Fishbusters

Ensign

Here is one to rember for those of you that have had bad trips. Everyone that would like to go with you is not the same. Keep an open mind that not everyone that wants to fish with you are trying to get your spot, be rude or whatnot perhaps they are trying to gain a new friend or perhaps learn how to do something you are good at that they perhaps don't know well. I have a coworker that I have tried to even trade trips with but he will not take me because I own a boat. He has been screwed many times especially with the GPS and spot taking and while I am willing to find my own spots after I know what to look for the only way I can learn what to look for is on the water with someone that knows. He is much better at doing what I am trying to learn than I am and has shared pointers but you can learn a lot more watching and observing than talking. BTW even offering to pay for everything, be strip searched, and blindfolded from when we meet up has not worked so I guess I will have to work it out on my own.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Great Thread Jim. On your list I disagree with one item. The mental issue. If I released that information no one would let me go fishing with them. One other thing. Probably in bad taste but ask to see their license. It is your boat and truck that will suffer if the guy does not have a license.

Fly Rod

Commander

Excellent rules of etiquette ;) <br />Rule #7 If you have to be back by a certain time "don't go"<br />Never had a problem with my friends picthing in with the exspenses. They always find a way to pay for gas etc even tho I tell them that the trip is free " I'm going any way".<br />Rule #00 Don't talk to loud around the coast guard of your friends contributing to your exspenses for a friendly day of fishing. You may find yourself in violation of not having a captains liscense. Never heard of anybody being prosecuted.<br />I'm not being negative aganist the coast guard They do a great job in my area.

crab bait

Captain

very good post there JIM... i couldn't add a thing.. i'm good from #11 down thru snapperbait.. <br /><br />especially # 12.. silence is golden... <br /><br />it's the only closest time i've ever came to murder... <br /><br />engine quit commin' back..only time ever.. an fishin'buddy rite in my ear, YAKIN',the whole time i'm tryin' to fix it...about how he's gotta get back & on & on & such & such.. dumb this an stupid that.. he finally got the 'hint' of just how close he came... an shutted up..GOD bless 'em

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by eurolarva:<br />Probably in bad taste but ask to see their license. It is your boat and truck that will suffer if the guy does not have a license.
Yes but not such bad taste just to ask if they have one ahead of time, as in "...there's probably no place to get one after we get there...."

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with most of these. But, what's wrong with a handheld GPS? I own one. It's saved my a$$ more than once. Also, If someone's not willing to share their fishin spots with me, they're obviously not enough of a friend for me to even talk to, much less have in my boat.

crab bait

Captain

there is many-a-time i ask neighbors, work mates , an such to go fishin'..even friends.. <br /><br />i'm takin' them fishin'..<br /><br />in my boat..<br /><br />my invite to them..<br /><br /> outta the goodness of my heart.. <br /><br />leave your cottonpickin' site stealin' apparrattis home.. please.. <br /><br />i have one on my boat .. don't need another...

LadyFish

Admiral

Here's another. Friends who smoke should ask about smoking rules aboard your boat. We had a friend with a 38' Fountain, it was kept immaculate and during a poker run one year someone smoked while running and ruined his seat cushions with a hot ash.<br /><br />Also, people are dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to smoking while you are filling up at the marina. I say, make the rules clear to guest that haven't been around boats much.

18rabbit

Captain

Arrive with appropriate attire. If I think you don’t have the appropriate clothing for your comfort, you don’t go. It’s not your decision to make, it’s mine.<br /><br />If you got it and don’t need it, you can always take it off.<br />If you need it and don’t got it, you can never put it on.<br /><br />The norm is to freeze your butt off in the morning and be working on a sunburn by early afternoon. :)

Fly Rod

Commander

joew94th<br />Nothing wrong with a hand held on your own boat.<br />when you are invited on another persons boat you should ask permission to bring it. And if the person didn't have the decency to ask then he or she isn't that good of the friend that invited him /her. Also if the capt. for the day wanted you to know he would give you the LAT. Long.<br />I have two gps, one hand held. Nobody needs to bring another and if they both crapped out then around my way YOU GO WEST.<br />Do you bring extra radar??? :p :p