Anyone have a good knot tieing technique?

Patty Pooh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am new to fishing and I am trying to fiqure out a good knot to tie my leader line to my swivels. Every knot I tye I can pull it right out. Thanks for your input!

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Anyone have a good knot tieing technique?

My standard is to put the line through the hole in either the swivel or hook, bring the cut end of the line back a couple of inches. Twist the hook toward yourself between 8 and 11 times. Put the cut end of the line through the untwisted part of the line closest to the hook. Pull it through the backside and back up between the twisted line and the straight piece of line connected to your reel. Pull tight on on both ends. I never have one come undone. Its easier to see a picture of this. Kind of hard to explain it in words. Hope it helps.

NOSLEEP

Commander

The best knot for strenght, and a knot that <br />doesnt cut through its self is the polymar knot<br />(splg) its one of the easyiest knots to tye. But<br />you cant always use it. Its only good for the end<br />of your line. And if you try it you will see why.

bobber head

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have been trying to tye the Rapala Loop knot the last few times out.<br /><br />Very nice knot, but tricky as my old fingers are kinda stiff now and sometimes I wind up with a HUGE loop.<br /><br />Ladyfishes classic knot (explained well IMO) will serve you well for 1000's of years. <br /><br />But if your "burning" the line, or stressing it, when tightening it up try licking it before hand or dropping it in the water. I only do 5 wraps though. The test is simulating a big strike, by hooking the lure to something solid and yanking back on the rod until the line snaps. Then you look at where the line snapped. Usually it's at the top of any knot that isn't tied just right.<br /><br />Nice link to knots, Thanks. Bobber

JerseyJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i tie striper rigs and sell them on ebay - the easiest, quickest to tie, and strongest knot by far is the palomar knot. Do a search for 'palomar knot' on google and you will get step by step instructions (there are only 3 steps!)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have the same faith in the uni-knot that NO-SLEEP and JJ have in the palomar.<br /><br />I use it for everything and have never had one slip or break.

LadyFish

Admiral

Ladyfishes classic knot (explained well IMO) will serve you well for 1000's of years.
Why thank you kind sir. I was hesitant to respond to this post at first. I thought a women trying to explain a snell knot to a guy is like trying to tell a mechanic the noise her car is making. I thought for sure someone would make fun of me. Thanks :)

NOSLEEP

Commander

Over the years I have tested many kinds of fishing<br />line for knot strenght. You want to find a knot<br />that you like to tie, one that when forced to<br />stretch and break, breaks above the knot. And not<br />at the knot, most knots when not tied properly <br />will break at the knot because the line starts<br />to strain and cuts through the knot.You can test<br />your own knots using a broom handle or stick and<br />a heavy weight stretching the line till it breaks.<br />If it breaks in the line it is a good knot. If it<br />breaks at the knot I wouldnt use it.

bobber head

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok,<br /><br />Sat around for most of the morning tying knots and performing the "yank test".<br />(I used a screw driver instead of a broom handle though).<br /><br />I gotta agree with the Polymar knot being the easiest and strongest knot for me so far.<br /><br />My fishing buddy is sitting at the table, as I type, learning how to tye the polymar. <br /><br />Old dog: new trick, BH<br /><br />Ladyfish - Took my '82 ford in to the shop yesterday and said, "...it's making a WWWwwwwwwwhhhhhirllllllll -clunk - brrrsqhHHH! sound." Now that I know that is a girl thing I am mortified but no longer wondering why everyone started laughing at me.

rwise

Captain

Ladyfish<br />One of the best mechanics I know is a woman. She can change a V8 engine and have the car on the road in less than 4 hours!<br />Richard

LadyFish

Admiral

Guys, I wish at times I was more mechanically inclined, the best I can do is change a tire. Its tough to do in heels and hose tho, so these days I just stand at the roadside and wait for a gentleman to come by and change it, usually my hubby.<br /><br />I am going to try the Polymar knot and see how well I do. Then I'll move onto the Trilene for offshore.<br /><br />I really love that site since the other problem I have is quickly tieing the boat off securely around pilings and stuctures. I learned several different methods when I took the Coast Guard Course but have since forgotten. It seems I'm never lucky enough to find a cleat. The bowline knot they demonstrate is simple and easy, my kind of knot. :D

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I use the Trilene and have never had a problem (Of course it is the only one I can remember. You do have to wet it with saliva or water and use a single motion to tighten. I have heard the palomar is the best from many people. My Homer Circle Bass book says it is the best. He supposedly tested and found one better that would break at about 100% of line strength but said that it was so complex that now one would use it. I need to learn the Palomar to try my hand at some drop shotting

bobber head

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I keep a pair of heels and hose in the back of my truck for when I have a flat, but somehow it doesn't work very well for me.<br /><br />Guess I should go ahead and learn how to change flats, eh?<br /><br />Bobber

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

polamar knot, quick, easy, strong, love it. Can tie it with 2lb or 60lb.

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Saltwater Sportsman has a feature on their site called the animated knot series. <br />There are a few knots there and it also tells their most common uses for each one. Plus it is animated so you see exactly how to tie them.<br /> Just go to www.saltwatersportsman.com and you will see it on the right side of the page.

LadyFish

Admiral

Bobber, must be the legs. :D <br /><br />SP, GX and Mike, the polamar really is easy. Love the websites. :cool:

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Bobber, coffee shooting out the nose is a good wakeup trick!!