CD Data Fishing for Texas Lakes

Lebeauxe

Cadet
Anyone recommend good software maps for Texas Lakes.<br /><br />Whitney, upper Brazos River?<br /><br />Been trying to find a source for data b4 I buy a GPS maping system.<br /><br />Also recomendations on a good Mfg of GPS products.<br /><br />thanks<br /><br />bo

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: CD Data Fishing for Texas Lakes

Hey, Bo.<br /><br />If you have seen or used a Fishing Hotspots map then you know the detail that Garmin's Mapsource Fishing Hotspots CD can provide.<br /><br />To use the FHS CD you need a Garmin 176, 162 or higher "fixed mount" GPS MAP unit. You can get details at http://www.garmin.com .<br /><br />I have a GPS MAP 162 that I use in both my boats and in my truck. No other CD mapping enhancement comes close to the detail of FHS for fresh water.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

You can also load the data into the eTrex Legend or GPSMAP 76 units too, if you want a hand held.<br /><br />JB is correct, Garmin has the best thing going on mapping software, both freshwater and saltwater.<br /><br />The GPSMAP 76 has a $50 rebate going too, if you by the CD and unit at the same time. Check their website at http://www.garmin.com.

Lebeauxe

Cadet

Thanks for the reply guys!<br /><br />I checked out the web site, and it doesn't indicate that Texas lakes are available, Are they?<br /><br />I think I checked outFishing hotspots 4.00 (or something like that)<br /><br />all it showed was a map of texas that you can zoom in on, and showed nothing but Hiways. <br /><br />Are the lakes and rivers actualy shown in detail on the handheld GPS.<br /><br />thanks again<br /><br />Bo

JB

Hey, Bo.<br /><br />You need to pick a lake and zoom in on that. If you just zoom in on Texas you are likely to only see dry land.<br /><br /> :)

Lebeauxe

Cadet

Yo JB!<br /><br />I tried that, and where I fish, Lake Whitney, and the Brazos as far north as it goes to Lake Granbury,( where it's deep enuff to float my boat) the maps on the fishing hot spots don't cover it.<br /><br />I called Garmin, and damm they were helpful. They sent me to a web page that shows Whitney and the river on a different CD, but only shows details of roads, and lakes, not the detail on this fishing CD. <br /><br />They advised me to wait till sombody revised the fishing cd, and he said don't hold my breath.<br /><br />Real helpful guys.<br /><br />JB if you know somethin I don't please let me know. <br /><br />again thanks<br /><br />Bo

JB

I guess I didn't know that Whitney isn't covered. I fish Possum Kingdom, Sam Rayburn, Texoma and Palestine, and they are all included.<br /><br />Good Luck :)