Finally made it out on the water!

495v

Chief Petty Officer
Just wanted to share my first outing of the season with you folks. Went to starved rock(IL river) over the weekend looking for some sauger action. No sauger but a bunch of striper's. Got about 20 of them, biggest was around 5 lbs. It was the funniest thing though. You see, anytime I go out in my boat, I tend to outfish everybody. This weekend I got a taste of my own medicine. I went out in a buddies boat, since mine is an I/O it's still in storage, and got stuck sitting in the middle. Well, needless to say, the captain up front boated about 8 fish and my other buddy in the back boated about 12. That leaves me with the big goose egg. That's right, I got my pole wet and that was about it. I was throwing the exact same baits as them but no luck. I new after a while that I was going to get skunked; had that feeling. OH, that's right, I caught a car floor mat and managed to get caught in the trolling motor. Oh well, even though I didn't get anything, my buddies were catchin fish, I was out on the water, and it was a nice peaceful day. What else can you ask for! I'll get them guy's next time in my boat.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Finally made it out on the water!

Yea, my first trip went pretty much like yours. I was trying out a new prop, but had to take a rod and some bucktails "just to play" for stripers. I made a long cast, and when I saw the birds nest, I knew I had not tightened the spool nut from the winter rebuild. Took me about 10 minutes to pick the tangles out, so I stuck the rod in a holder.<br /><br />About 2 minutes later I heard the rod banging, and it had a 28" fat striper on it. Then, I fished hard for 3 more hours with out another bite!<br /><br />The prop did work good though. (And the single lone striper sure tasted good too)

Ranger354

Petty Officer 1st Class

After three days of yard work I took an afternoon off my daughter and I went to the local lake. Within ten min she had a nice black bass in the boat. We fished for another hour without a bite. I am glad we took the time off and she caught the fish. All work and no play makes us boring people. I think I hear the boat calling my name again.......... maybe thursday.

daddysdream

Cadet

my first trip out was a pulled hook for my wife (probable striper) and a perch for my oldest son. me and the youngest, well, we had a nice day on the water.<br /><br />sea dawg-any hints on the delaware bay? i'm familiar to ocean city maryland but can trailer new boat to bowers or mahon in less than an hour. email me at mmkananen@yahoo.com if you don't mind letting me in on a hot spot or 2. just looking to keep wife and kids active reeling fish in, even if i have to throw them back. thanks

crab bait

Captain

boy 495 , your one-of-a-kind .... an honest fisherman !! i reckon there's somethin' to that guy the back of the boat theory... well, you had fun anyway ... by-the-way,,, was it a keeper ???? the car mat ...

495v

Chief Petty Officer

Crab bait, it was a dandy. I believe it was a passenger sider, beige in color. I climbed the ladder of the "weirdest catch" on that baby. My buddy still has me beat with a pair of long john und*%&wear he got last year on my boat. That one really put up a fight!!!

crab bait

Captain

GET OUT !! N O WAY !! good catch it maybe... but that no way can beat a rubber passenger FLOUNDER !!! YOU WIN 495 ... YOU DA MAN !!

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe this won't compare to the big saltwater fish but I thought a float trip in June that produced 54 smallmouth was a good day. Largest was 24 inches.<br />Dman

495v

Chief Petty Officer

I think Dman is confused. This was a freshwater floor mat not saltwater... LOL Hey crab bait, what do you think about a new thread titled "Your Weirdest Catch" I think it will bring in some good stories.