12 footer engine size

Pogo123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As all of you know by now, I have an older (about 1980) 12 ft Alumacraft, either model E, EL or EZ.<br /><br />The EZ is rated at 7.5 HP, but the E at 12 HP (and I can't see any difference between models, really).<br /><br />I have been powering it with a 6 HP Suzuki that gave me 17Kts (GPS) fully loaded and 20 Kts WOT when I modified to the 8 HP carburetor.<br /><br />Today I was offered a 2000 Tohatsu 15 HP for a pretty reasonable price. I don't need the extra power for speed, but sometimes I find myself pointed upwind and against the tide. I sometimes have to tack the wind and make only about 8 Kts. A bit of extra HP would be handy to hold the nose.<br /><br />The motor weighs 95# (actual - on a scale), My Suzuki weighs 70#. <br /><br />Is 15Hp at 95#, in your opinion, too much motor for this boat?<br /><br />Thanks ...

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: 12 footer engine size

What kind of freeboard do you have with the Suzuki you have now?

Pogo123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a good 6 inches at the stern, Pony ... maybe a bit more. <br /><br />I don't think the extra weight will be much of an issue. After I wrote my original question, I got to thinking ... I run with my gas (6 gal) tank and trolling motor battery (Optima 24 size) forward (about 4 feet aft of the prow - right in front of the center seat) which distributes the weight better and brings me up on plane a bit quicker.<br /><br />I'm still somewhat concerned about the extra weight, but actually more concerned about over powering this wee skiff. <br /><br />Don't laugh :) ... I know I don't have to (and likely won't) run the engine at WOT Which brings it's own engine life issues, but I certainly don't want an unmanageable boat.<br /><br />As you can likely see ... I'm wandering around a little and a bit confused here since the hull specs differ so much in HP rating between the various "E" models and I can't pin down which I have.<br /><br />In reality, I probably should look around for a 14 ft hull for the 15 HP and keep the 12 ft as it is for when I fish the shallows for Flounder alone.<br /><br />I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on this, Pony ...

Pony

Rear Admiral

IMHO one of the great features that these snaller aluminum boats have, is that it takes like literaly 5 minutes to change out an entire motor.......I'm not sure how far you are from water, but you could always put on the 15hp and test it to see if the boat can handle it.<br /><br />I was also thinking that if you did move the gas and battery up a bit more, the extra hp might cause it to NOT plow. I dont think the etra 25lbs would be too big of an issue in the back......if it was lifting the bow too much, then as stated earlier you could move some things foreward then.<br /><br />How does the boat handle now at WOT?? The beam doesnt seem all that wide, that would be a concern to me with adding more power. I can see the boat being able to possibly handle the weight......just maybe not the power. The difference between a 6hp and a 15hp is pretty big. <br /><br />You did mention keeping the 15 hp and using it on a bigger boat if you found one..........If it were me, I'd get the 15hp motor, try it on the 12footer and if it couldnt handle it I'd save it and see if I could find a 14 ft aluminum boat somewhere. I dont know about your area, but around here you can find aluminum boats for a decent price that just need some fixing up (leaky rivets etc).<br /><br /><br />I have a 12ft Mirrocraft, and it has a little 5.5hp motor on it..........I know that boat won't handle much more weight wise, but power wise I could use a little more. Bottom line is that you know more about how your boat is now than anyone else....use that to your advantage.<br /><br />Heres a pic of my 12fter......its a thumbnail, so just lick it for full size.<br /><br />

Pogo123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're right, Pony ... and you have some good thoughts...<br /><br />Neat wee rig you have there ... From the picture, yours appears to be proportionally a bit more broad beamed than mine, which would give it more stability under power.<br /><br />Mine handles quite well under all the present power I have (a DT-6 souped to near a DT-8), but I also know that the line between docile and wild can be a fine one. I always have the gas tank and battery just forward of the center seat. Since I am alone a lot, this provides a much better longitudinal balance and gets me on plane much quicker.<br /><br />Since I live about 5 minutes from the closest boat ramp on the New River and 15 minutes from one on the Intracoastal Waterway, I should have thought of the testing you mention ... Duhhh!!! (I'm not always as bright as the advertizing would lead you to believe).<br /><br />I haven't actually bought this motor yet, but, being a fairly good friend, the seller would definitely let me test it out. <br /><br />Then, too, I sorta do want this motor anyway, based on what I know of it's history, and feel that I'll end up buying it, regardless.<br /><br />I also have been looking around a bit for another 14 ft aluminum hull, but find them scarce in this neck of the woods. This town is over half populated by commercial fishermen and being so near the ocean, the predominent boats are either fiberglas (14 to 19 ft) work boats or much bigger (and expensive) than I want pleasure craft. I can get some pretty good deals on fiberglas hulls (like Carolina Skiffs), but don't much want a flat bottomed boat on this water.<br /><br />I don't know where you are, Pony, but if you happen to stumble over a reasonable 14 ft aluminum hull and you're not too far for me to drive to, I'd be most appreciative of a "heads up".<br /><br />If it sounds as though I've, through our exchanges, decided on a plan ... I have. I'll keep the rig I have and eventually find a hull for the 15 hp. <br /><br />Thanks, Pony .. I really appreciate the time you've spent with me on this.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Been gone and I'm not on the computer every day, but Wow 15 hp! The weight wouldn't be much of a concern but it would be overpowered. I like your plan for the boat - keep it as is.<br /><br />I think the hp. you have now is best for how you will use it most of the time and is more ideal for the boat.<br /><br />Gee... I run a 2 cylinder 4 hp. on my 14' FD and it has all the power I need on the Mississippi river for fishing. It is a real fishing motor. Small is good!

Pogo123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're right, River Runner and I agree whole heartedly.<br /><br />Since this is not Tournament fishing, I'm not in that much hurry to get to the next fishin' spot ... 15 to 20 knots max does just fine. <br /><br />I went ahead and bought the Tohatsu 15 ... mostly because I knew it's history and the price was reasonable, but, since I have a good rig already, I can take time to shop around for a hull.. and I'd love to have an Alumacraft 14, but I doubt that will happen.<br /><br />O.K., gang .. case closed .. thanks for your input and I have my answers ... yes, the 12 footer would handle the additional weight and hp, but ... it's too good a rig right now, as it is, to change it and maybe screw it up.<br /><br />Take care, do good and have fun ...