omc prop troubles

allforbob

Recruit
I bought a 1979 Glasply 17ft. with a 140 omc. As stupid as I can be, I let my son take out the boat, and he spun the hub in the prop. I took it down to the shop to have the hub pressed, but the prop was old and it fell apart. So, I bought a reconditioned prop, the same pitch and diameter. Now it seems like when I take off it feels like Im towing something. It takes forever to get up on plane. I thought because it was an old boat, it had water under the floor. So I riped up the floor, put in new foam, and glassed it all in. I went through the sterndrive, new bearings,seals and a new waterpump.I took out the fuel tank, cleaned it, new fuel pump,and put in a new water seperator filter.and I still cant get it to come to a plane in a reasonable amount of time. You have to have someone crawl out on the bow to get it out of the water. The prop I got has no cupping to it. I might change the prop to a cupped prop Any suggestions?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: omc prop troubles

Welcome!!<br /><br />There are many different styles of props that have the same pitch. You can try 2 props of the same diameter and pitch and the 2 are as different as night & day.<br /><br />Now, that's assuming the motor is still running up to par and everything else is right.

allforbob

Recruit

everything is still ok, but I wonder how much fuel Im using @ 3.40 a gal to do this. if I cant figure it out, It is just going to have to become yard art.

walleyehed

Admiral

That would be a very old OMC prop if it was not cupped....P/N would be inside the hub...should be able to read it, but you may have to remove nut and washer to see it.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

as far as i understand ,cupped props will help you get out of the hole better and you will be able to stay on plane at a lower rpm than non -cupped.

whywhyzed

Banned

I've never seen a prop for a 1979 400 series that was not cupped.

walleyehed

Admiral

There were alot of uncupped props made, but lets see if he can get us a P/N, then we'll know where we are.