Can I Tow a Tube From A Ski Pylon?

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I havent tried skiing from my new to me boat yet. It has a ski pylon which attaches to the floor and has extensions which connect to each side of the transom. I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about. This weekend we are going to do some skiing and tubing and I was wondering if its okay to tow a tube from the ski pylon? I thought I heard somewhere that you shouldnt tow a tube from the pylon.

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Can I Tow a Tube From A Ski Pylon?

Towing from the pylon keeps the rope out of the water and keeps the resulting spray to a minimum. If pulling a multi-person tube it will come up on top of the water faster as well.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If the pylon is very high and the rope is very short you're going to pull the front of the tube out of the water, but this hardly seems like a common scenario.. Can't imagine where you heard it shouldn't be done.

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've also read that towing a tube from a ski pylon is not recommended. I believe one or both of my tubes bears a warning to this effect. I don't see the real danger. I wish I had a ski pylon on my boat. I hate it when the rope gets caught up in the wake!

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

hmm ive never heard anything about this..i just got a ski pylin installed in my new glastron and planned on doing a lot of tubing and skiing over the fourth of july. what if you have an outboard on your boat and dont have an eye for the ropes then?

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The traditional way of towing a tube or skiing from an outboard powered boat was to hook a ski bridle to the transom eyes and then to a tow rope. I remember hearing either here or elsewhere that towing a tube from a pylon is not recommended. I hope I can get a definitive answer by the weekend. Does anyone know for sure.

tommays

Admiral

i have never see it be a problem unless there is a strenth problem with the pylon<br /><br />you have to use common sense i have seen dangerous things happen with tubes no matter were they were towed from because the driver was careless makeing a fast turn or just went to fast for the conditions<br /><br />some people seam to think its fun to bounce people out of the tube <br /><br />tommays

sangerwaker

Commander

Not a problem at all. I've only heard of not using an extended pylon (7 foot tall) fro tubing. You will be fine with a std pylon.

BF

Lieutenant

if it's an "add on" ski pylon, make sure it is anchored well to the floor. I've seen some just held by a few small screws through the metal plate into the plywood floor. A big pull on the bar and the bottom plate ripped right out of the (soggy/rotting) floor. (seen it and heard of it happening more than once).. Also heard the plate took a few toes off a guy as it vacated the boat (didn't get to see that one).<br /><br />My ski pylon is anchored firmly to the keel of the boat... not going anywhere, and yes, pulls tubes all the time (even 2 of 'em).<br /><br />have fun!

yzmotox

Cadet

Like sangerwaker said. Its not a problem. I do it all summer long. I have a runabout with the Skylon pole. I just attach the rope to the ski hook in the middle not the wakeboard slot at the top. I have never had any flex at all.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

I seem to recall hearing that too...I thought it was because the chance of going airborn since the tow rope is higher...like that is a BAD thing when tubing???<br /><br />-JustMrWill

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do not know about a tube from a pylon, but have heard not to have anyone behind the pylon (back seats) while it's in use.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I haven't heard about the pylon issue, but have heard (and it makes sense) not to use a ski rope to pull a tube, maybe that same logic applies here. It all comes down to shear load and stress factors. With the surface area of a tube on the water, and the added weight of more than one person on a tube, as the boat turns back and forth and the effects of wake are encountered, the stress on the rope (and I guess) the pylon is quite a bit more than just a skier. An active load is many times that of a static load, double or triple the weight on an active load and the stress factors go up ten fold.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

We use the pylon all the time for tubing, works nicely. Maybe a wakeboard tower would be too high and have a tendancy to pull the tube into the air? Don't use a ski rope of course, there is a rope designed for pulling a tube.

Drybo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The ads for add on pylons state not recommended for pulling tube. Weight is more for tubes v Ski's? I want to add a pylon instead of using transom hooks to get rope up, water spray from the low rope is blinding the tubers. The i-boats internet adds don't mention it but the overtons catalog state "not recommended for tubes". It looks like the same brands of pylons.<br /><br />Sorry, just noticed waterone1's post.

robsp2000

Cadet

I am getting the same problem when I am towing a tube. The hooks on my transom are too low and the rope in always getting caught in the wake about 10ft from the tuber. It actually has held underwater enough to turn the tube backwards when they come back into the wake. Then when the slack is picked up, it is pretty violent. I am looking into supports that go from the side of the boat and meet above the motor. I will make sure that they are rated for tubing though.

Chris41

Recruit

Towing a tube or waterboard is not recommended with pylons. If you look at pylons to purchase on the internet, they will say not to tow tubes with them. Being higher and the increases drag levels will leverage the pylon out of its holdings eventually.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Like many people have stated, the pylons you can buy state they should not be used with tubes. I don't think this is really a safety issue regarding the rider, but because if the tube "submarines" it will place an extreme amount of stress on the pylon and it might fail. If a skier falls (s)he the typically lets go of the rope and so there is no problem.

I have a factory ski pylon and pull tubes all the time. You actually can get the tubes "on plane" faster with the pylon and the rope produces far less splash. I think you should be fine as long as you are paying close attention to the tube and back off the throttle at any sign the tube starts to go under.

kieck326

Recruit

LEARN FROM MY EXPERIENCE! We just ripped out our base plate through the carpet and completely bent the pylon and braces this weekend pulling a big 3 person tube. 2 adults were on it and their weight went forward and it "submarined" and the force wrecked the pylon system. We'd been pulling a smaller 2 person tube behind it for a year just fine. I called Swivel-Eze, the manufacturer of the pylon today, and they said this is exactly why they put the warning on the pylons not to pull tubes behind them. We have a 19 foot fish and ski with a 200 HP outboard and the base plate is on the back platform. The base is also where we screw our back pedestal seat into for fishing. We are now going to pull tubes from behind the eyes in the back with a harness and will just have to deal with the water spray. We think key factor was the submarining and keeping the weight in the back but how can you completely control that?? To replace the system is at least $300 in parts if we can repair it ourselves. Quote from boat dealer was $400.

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes
had a outboard bayliner for my first boat with a ski pylon works fine main concern is that the floorboard is in good condition no dryrot or related problems make sure the pylon is secure and will be fine. Take care