Lakes around Los Angeles

dy168

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have anyone been to Lake Perris, Castaic Lake and Diamond Valley Lake?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lakes around Los Angeles

riverdude,<br /><br />I have spent a lot of time at Perris. Was where I learned to run my first boat. Nice little lake, Island in the middle, but there are coves where you boat that are WAY bigger than Perris. One direction of travel too, CCW around the island.<br /><br />I've never boated at Castaic, but have heard good things. Supposed to be good fishing. <br /><br />Diamond Valley is the biggest locally, only a couple of years old. NO physical contact though, no swimming, tubing etc., so we have never been. Not sure about the fishing situation . . .

QC

Supreme Mariner

If you don't mind small lakes or altitude there are some others too. Silverwood is at about 3500 ft. and has pine trees and mountains around it. Big Bear Lake is at 6800 ft. and is very pretty and larger than some of the others. Cabins on the banks, big rock formations. Big uphill tow though.

dy168

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Quietcat,<br /><br />Now you got me interested in running up the Canyons through Temple Bar. But I don't think the water level is over 1200' though. I am going out to Willow now. My last day of the season will be the Memorial wkd. I am the opposite around, I found out its way too hot in June, July, August and September to be under the sun. I do go out during those time once awhile with my friend's bass boat in wee hours. May be I should try the lakes in California.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Wow, exact opposite schedule as us. I guess we are true Riverats . . .<br /><br />Mead is at 1143 right now. Nowhere near getting into the Grand Canyon. If you like to fish though the Stripers can be really good up at Temple Bar. You need to go check it out some day. It is another world.<br /><br />Big Bear stays relatively cool if your boat will handle the altitude and your truck the haul. Really pretty up there. A couple of decent Marinas etc. You may need a special pass to be on the lake, in fact I am almost sure of it. But you can buy them up there.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Castaic was a great lake when I was growing up. I skied around that lake a million times. Great lake from what I remember.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Bassy,<br /><br />Where did you grow up?

dy168

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks QuietCat,<br /><br />Thanks for the info. Seems like Diamond Valley has a lots of boat restrictions. Lake Mohave was calm yesterday, able to run all the way from Willow to Katherine Landing.

harkawy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fished many times at Castaic. Beautiful lake in the shape of a V. Skiing is permitted on both sides though there are many coves with no wake zones. Two boat launches; one on each end of the dam. I was there 4 or 5 times last year and didn't catch anything. Went to Piru (west of Castaic) and caught one trout this year so far.