tampa area gulf of mexico fishing

phatmanmike

Captain
hello, i live near clearwater, fl, how far offshore do i have to go before i can see a diference in the type and size of fish i can catch vs. if i stayed inshore...????<br /><br />i have a 16' CC that can brave the seas but i dont wanna go any further than maybe 8 - 10 miles

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: tampa area gulf of mexico fishing

What kind of fish are you after? <br /><br />If it's snapper and grouper you're after, hit the edges of deep channels in the tampa bay area...<br /><br />PS.. Hope you've got your hurricane preperations done...

phatmanmike

Captain

im looking for fish i can eat. what ever it may be.... snapper, grouper, amberjack, wahoo, king fish, mackerel.... any of these things i pay high prices for at the local resturants, i wanna DO IT MYSELF

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Plenty of good eats can be found in the inshore and bay areas... Usually right under your nose...<br /><br />Mangrove snapper (gray snapper) should be fairly easy to come by inshore, and they are quite tasty... <br /><br />Get ready for night time snapper fishing.. <br />Find some hard bottom structure near, or right on, drop-offs to deep water like the edges of navigation channels (don't anchor in the channel)... Current can sometimes be a benefit.. <br /><br /> Take a good size chunk of cut bait, sometimes a whole bait, and put it on bottom with your choice of rig (chicken rig or knocker rig with about a 1/0 or 2/0 short shank hook).... Keep a tight line cause strikes can be fast, sometimes before the bait even hits bottom.. If you don't have any action in one spot within a few minutes to maybe a half hour, move, cause nobody's home there.... Don't be supprised if you come up with a grouper, and I've even caught snook on bottom rigs with a dead bait..<br /><br />I'm not too framiliar with the west coast, but spanish mackerel might be another for ya... When they are thick at certain times of the year, troll a spoon (short piece of wire leader, they have teeth)... <br /><br />Spotted sea trout... Redfish...

LadyFish

Admiral

Ole Snap is an expert in this area. Take his advice, I know I would. :)

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Hey neighbor! Safety Harbor resident here! It seems like at about 50 feet or so, the fishing starts to get a little more interesting. But 50 feet can mean over 10-15 miles out for us west coasters.<br />When the water temp cools down a bit, the Grouper are gonna come in closer to shore where it's a lot eaiser for us little boat guys(16 and a half foot Wellcraft here),to hook up. I'm a little leary about going out too far myself but if you'd like, shoot me an e-mail and maybe we can venture out together and see what's bitin'. It feels better when I go out with another boat. I have towboat US, but it still makes me a little nervous that far away from shore.<br /><br />Dave

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey guys, 15'9" CC here ready to go if you need a convoy... ha ha. Always more fun in groups. I usually go offshore from Daytona, but don't mind the west coast thing. I have SeaTow and usually don't wander more than 10-15 miles offshore. Lets get together and see what we can get into. I haven't been out in a few weeks, and need to hook something!<br /><br />See ya!

phatmanmike

Captain

sounds fun. a bunch of lil guys! lets prove we can hang with the " big dogs"<br /><br />neither of yas have emails in your posts, and mine is at the bottom. <br /><br />i havent been more than 2 miles offshore in my rig yet. or any others for that fact.<br /><br />i also have towBOATUS, but it expires on november 1st. ill probably renew.<br /><br />ive never really fished hadrcore, but now i have this boat, and im all excited, ive been working on her for almost a year. <br /><br />email me and maybe we can all 3 hook up.<br /><br />lately we have been camping on the local islands around honeymoon and anclote key!<br /><br />mike

Stumpknocker

Great idea. I went over to Honeymoon Island witha friend a year or so ago and surf fished there. I was thinking there is no camping on Honeymoon island.... am I thinking about the wrong island? Fishing, camping, and photography all in one package is pretty unbeatable.<br /><br />What kind of rig do you have?<br /><br /><br />vegabond9@hotmail.com if you should send any pictures for any reason send them to my wife's email address as hotmail no longer downloads pictures properly anymore. scb3@earthlink.net

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Sorry 'bout that Mike. For some reason I thought my e-mail was in my profile.<br />We've been talking about camping on the spoil islands as well. Maybe when it cools down a bit.<br /><br /><br />davidabrahamson@hotmail.com

phatmanmike

Captain

What kind of rig do you have?
1986 bonito 16' center console<br />1976 mercury 1150 inline 6 115hp TOWER O POWER<br /><br />bought the boat a year a go , and its origonal motor blew up on 1st night, second motor blew up on forst day out, 3rd motor lasted 2 days, 4th motor needed a new lower unit, and finally, here i am with a working boat<br /><br />
I was thinking there is no camping on Honeymoon island.... am I thinking about the wrong island?
you cant actually camp on honeymoon itself, but there are lots of lil islands around almost within swimming distance, a stones throw.<br /><br />do a search for three rookers bar. its a sandbar about 100 yards north of honeymoon srounded by inches deep crystal clear water and tons of shells, full size conchs, stone crabs, sand dollars, lots of wildlife youd think to only see in the keys! right in my back yard<br /><br />we just went to three rookers bar on sunday for lunch and swimming and shelling, the wife and our 4 year old daughter.<br /><br />within about 2-3 miles either direction of the dunedin causeway bridge are lots of small spoil islands from when the corp of engineers created the ICW. i havent been up as far north as anclote key , YET, but you can camp on anchlote key for free, as it is consodered a state park.<br /> http://www.floridastateparks.org/anclotekey/ <br /><br />also down south by fort desoto is shell key and egmont key. both are world class designations unto them selves.<br /> http://www.floridastateparks.org/egmontkey/ <br /><br />and<br /><br /> http://www.pinellascounty.org/environment/pagesHTML/pdfs/Shell Key.pdf <br /><br />shell key has camping and egmont has sunken fort dade, from the spanish-american war. lots of snorkling/diving there and egmont also has an underwater ledge that drops from 2 feet deep to over 80 feet in just a matter of about a 10 foot stretch. <br /><br />lots of grouper can be had there, along with snook, snapper, cobia, tarpon and sharks.<br /><br />i say we all get together and catch some big groupers and such, then go back to camp and grill 'em up! florida style!<br /><br />here are some links to get anybody else in the area enticed to come check out what beauty we have right here in our own back yard<br /> st.josephs sound/honeymoon island <br /> three rooker bar <br /><br /> more three rooker bar <br /><br /> honeymoon flats fishing anlcote key boat launch and GPS coordinates.

Stumpknocker

Sounds great. I only have time for a quick scan of your message at the moment, but it sounds like you boat your camping gear in and setup the site, then fish. Right? Done that before and its lots of fun. How is the clarity of the water since Charley? Did it even get a stir? Doing a couple of last minute things on my boat but itching to go. <br /><br />How did you blow three motors in a row?

phatmanmike

Captain

it sounds like you boat your camping gear in and setup the site, then fish. Right?
yes, thats it. the boat ramps are anywheres from 2 to 9 miles away by water, depending on if you want free parking or are willing to pay 10 bucks a day. so we bring tents, sleeping bags, coolers, clothes, food, beer, drinks, water toys and sometimes the dog ! :) <br /><br />
How is the clarity of the water since Charley?
didnt even do anything. water clarity, especialy around the northern of the county(clearwater area) is absolutely crystal clear. you can see sand dollars on the bottom in 10-15 feet of water. <br /><br />south end of county near egmont and shell key water is light green but looks just as clear. you can watch schools of fish swimm under the boat whil your floating around. <br /><br />
How did you blow three motors in a row?
the first one(suzuki 65) was my first outboard ever, honestly didnt know what to look for. oil injection quit working about 2 miles in gulf at 2 am on a work night.<br /><br />next(evinrude 85) was my second, thermostat was stuck shut, over heated.about i hour out, this time we stayed in a lake.smart move, got towed back in<br /><br />third (evinrude50) blew a connecting rod 2 days after purchase from shop in lakeland, getting powerhead replaced(warranty)<br />fourth motor, bought on ebay locally(evinrude50, again) wouldnt stay in forward gear. still have that one, have since got new LU<br /><br />finally, i have my b.i.g a.s.s 1976 mercury inline 6. love it<br /><br />ive posted a topic under"dosckside chat" about a central florida/tampa area mini"unofficial" getogether, to see if we can atract some more small boaters!!!<br /><br />more the merrier

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

I'm in. I'll talk to a few of my "non-iboats" boater friends to see if I can garner any interest. Could be an annual thingy!! :D :D

Stumpknocker

Ha! I have a Dalmation that loves to fish. I guess since its not on a State Park Island, that dogs are ok there. He might enjoy it. I have a buddy in Clermont with a 15' CC that would love to join in. He doesn't like going too far offshore and this would suit him just fine. I'll call him tonight. Are there any racoons on this island?

phatmanmike

Captain

Are there any racoons on this island?
maybe....<br /><br />well , anclote key may have some, and so might shell key... as they are larger islands, but the smaller islands in the ICW are vacant of most anything except maybe bugs or sumthing or maybe snakes. ive never seen racoons persnally, but that dont mean they aint there.<br /><br />the bigger islands have camping shelters/pavilions and grill centers, but the smaller ones are more"hard core" do it yourself style....<br /><br /><br />yee haaaaw<br /><br />mike

super64

Cadet

HEY! I just traded my speedboat for an older 17' CC. Once I get a bit more familliar/comfortable with it I'd like to join a local convoy out in the gulf and hopefully catch some fishies.....

Stumpknocker

Super64, you will have lots of fun with a CC. What kind of engine do you have? Always more fun with more people. Do you have fishing tackle yet?