Windows XP won't load.

Tyme2fish

Commander
My son's computer won't load his OS of WindowsXP.I tried starting it in SAFE MODE, DEBUG MODE, ETC. All that happens is an endless loop of Windows XP loading page. It then goes to Dell Page ( his computer) and back to windows loading etc. It's a lesson on how to keep a redneck busy.<br />I also tried restart in last known good format and that didn't work.<br />Any ideas??? Yeh, I know he has a virus but I have to get it at least started so I can attempt to debug the system.<br /> Thanks in advance.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Windows XP won't load.

How did you attempt the last known config? Through restore? <br /><br />If there is not much that will be lost.... reload win xp

Tyme2fish

Commander

Originally posted by Bob_VT:<br /> How did you attempt the last known config? Through restore? <br /><br />If there is not much that will be lost.... reload win xp
I can't get the system up enough to try restore. All I can do is hit F8 and try safe mode, etc and that doesn't work. Yes we do have an XP CD

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

You will have to start the computer with the CD in the drive and when it prompt you do a repair of the OS.

BassMan283

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check the mother board for bad capacitors. The link has some pictures. If you have bulging or leaking capacitors, you need to call Dell and ask for a new motherboard. About two thirds of our computers at work have had this problem. Dell is not the only manufacturer with this problem, but they apparently bought a bunch of these. If you call them, be sure to tell them that they are leaking. Bad capacitors

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

If the motherboard is good (as BassMan293 explains) then you can:<br /><br />1) Restore Windows XP from CD if you have one or hit <Ctrl> <F11> when the Dell screen appears.<br /><br />2) Boot from a Windows XP CD and try to fix the problem.<br /><br />3) Pull the hard disk and put into another computer. Check disk for Spyware/Viruses. Run Windows XP error checking utility to repair any bad sectors.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Loading the CD doesn't work. It seems that the system is shutting itself down before it really starts. I'll take off the cover later and check the capacitors. <br />BRG25: What does hitting Ctrl and F11 do? Both at once??

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

If you have a restore CD then don't worry about the <Ctrl> <F11>. Some Dell systems have the operating system stored on a hidden partition on the hard drive so you can restore Windows without using CD's. Hitting <Ctrl> <F11> at once would start restore the utility.<br /><br />It sounds like you have either motherboard or hard drive problems. Like BassMan293 explains above, Dell had a large batch of computers shipped with bad motherboards. We had to have all the motherboards replaced where I work (about 125 machines).

vipzach

Lieutenant

With the cd in the drive, do you ever see the option that says "press any key to boot from cd"? If not, you are not booting in the right order. Dell has a boot option menu, you either hit <F10> or <F12> and it will give the options to boot from. <br /><br />If you are seeing the "press any key" option and the pc is rebooting, then check the caps like suggested earlier and remove all of your pci cards and see if it will boot. <br /><br />I would guess that your pc is just not looking at the cdrom first in the boot order though.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

That's a good point, check the boot options in the BIOS to make sure you have it set to boot from CD before the hard drive.

vipzach

Lieutenant

Brian, it isn't only Dell's with the cap problem, alot of different brands of motherboards are having that problem. We have had a bunch here lately come in the shop with blown caps.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

Bet these types of issues give the various CEO's an ulcer. :D Hey, thanks againg for the decryptor. Works great!

nitedmn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

vipizach<br /><br />Do you know if HP used any of these bad boards? I've recently been having a similar problem with my PC. I belive the hard drive may be going (I have a spare sitting around somewhere. Just haven't had time to try it it). My PC will start to run VERY slow. I reboot and then the machine won't boot. The only way I can get it working again is to do a complete format of the hard driver (quick format won't work. I get errors saving files to the drive) and reinstall windows. I've had to do this 3 or 4 times in the last few months.

Xcusme

Commander

nitedmn, Google is your friend. Do a search for "HP bad capacitors" There are a bunch of sites that list various makes and model numbers of motherboards with known track records of cap failures. I've replaced quite a few Low ESR MB caps in both Asus and Abit boards. You can usually see a bad cap. Look for a bulging top, or leaking at the base. Other things to look out for are older, under powered power supplys (typical of HP, Dell, IBM etc). Make sure the CPU cooler fan is clean and the cooling fins too. Major HD manufactures have downloadable diags to run on your HD to test for problems before you install the OS.