Swing Set project

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
After much back-and-forth on what swing set to buy or build we decided to build one. Wife and I picked out the swings, trapeze, handles, and slide and hardware from Lowes. Then this Saturday morning I went to the local lumber yard to get the lumber and bolts, screws, etc. One good thing I learned from the lumber yard is the new pressure treatment does not contain arsenic<br />so its safe for the kids to play on.<br /><br />We decided on the play house, slide, swings, and ladder style and this is what me and my son James built so far this weekend. This is the club house and slide, the posts are 4x4x8, the slide is 5ft at the top. <br /><br />
photowork00190.jpg
<br /><br />The swing beam attaches to the front 4x4 post of the club house, then extends 10 ft to the right where it is supported by this A frame:<br /><br />
photowork00187.jpg
<br /><br />didn't really have any plans other than pictures from the web, but it seems to be coming out pretty good. The club house is heavy. It took me, my son, wife and her sister to move it around. <br /><br />I am begining to think it is a bit over built, but at least it won't fall apart if (when) the high school kids climb on it.<br /><br />Next weekend the swing beam goes up, some ladders, some sanding and wife will stain it.<br /><br />I'm sore and tired.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Swing Set project

Looks real good but where is the sandbox???

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Thanks guys!<br /><br />Bart, the sandbox is one of those plastic turtle jobs up on the deck. Still deciding what to put on the ground around the play set. Wife doesn't want wood chips or mulch because deer ticks like it, and she doesn't want sand because of the mess. And then there is the maintenance with weeds, etc. So my current idea is to use 1x6 on edge to frame in the play area, then fill with pea gravel. Got any suggestions?<br /><br />In a few years, when the kids are older (the little ones are 2 and 6 now) it will be easy to move the whole playset further down the incline near the trees. But with a 2 year old, we wanted them in sight from the kitchen and family room windows. So the whole thing is right up by the house with the trampoline. <br /><br />At first I was against having it up by the house and messing up the lawn. But then I realized that its better to have the kids in sight, and the lawn is easily replaced with a box of grass seed. Besides, isn't a back yard for the kids to play in? <br /><br />BTW, the play set as I'm building it generally sell for $1200 and up! Holy Moly! So far, lumber and hardware (screws, bolts, etc) is $275, and the swings, slide, handles, "rock wall" etc $400. So I think I'm ahead of the game. Got about 8 hrs into it, probably another 16 before its done.<br /><br />This is the play set I modeled ours after. When it's done I hope it looks and plays as good as this. Ours has a slightly large play house, its a bit highter off the ground, and will have a trapeze at the end instead of the hoops. Also going to put a canvas roof on instead of wood because it won't attract the wasps and borer bees over the kids heads. <br /><br />
aa-gsgf.gif
<br /><br />When the kids out grow it, I'm trying to figure out how to turn it into something to store the boat in.... <br /> :D

ndemge

Commander

Keep the pictures coming!<br /><br />Build one last year, and believe me, you can't over build it. <br /><br />My beam is basically a triple 2x6, amazing how it starts moving when you get a couple kids swinging in sync.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Woh! A triple 2x6 is flexing? I planned on a double 2x6, glued with construction adhesive and a few bolts. It will have a 8" span to the A frame, then two foot overhang past the A frame for a trapeze. Think I should upgrade to a triple 2x6?

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Looking good Mark.<br />I built this one for my grandsons 2nd birthday. Just built it off the top of my head too. Who needs plans? It's a box with an arm on it. ;) <br />Oh... and notice where I put the sandbox.<br />
GavinsPlayhouse.jpg

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Ohh, that's a nice looking play set. I like the roof. How did you get that nice gold color to the wood? Is is pressure treated? Stained?

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

PT, never stained or sealed....yet.<br />The roof was made like that because I had some leftover shingles from my house. Hate to see anything go to waste. The stairs were built using the T.L.A.R. method. (That Looks About Right). ;)

ndemge

Commander

Mark:<br /><br />...Looks like you did the same.. Buy the slide, and then build the height around it.<br /><br /><br />My beam is made of 16' 2x6's Lot longer span.<br />2 Outer ones, with long pieces inbetween, so not solid all the way through. When I say flex, I'm not refering to a dangrous flex, just that it still moves.<br /><br />Here's a picture of it last fall, the baby has already outgrown the extension, so that gets cut off now.<br /><br />
clubhouse1od.jpg

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Mark,<br /> I was wondering where you disappeared to...now that mystery is solved :cool:.<br /><br />I just tore down the old one I had (it was donated from a friend when we bought our house and needed replacing). Before I took it down..it worked great as a boat lift - :cool:.<br /><br />I am thinking of expanding my current shed and building a playhouse/swingset into it...I kep the slide and swings form the old one..so the cost would be just wood and bolts.<br /><br />BTW...everybody..they all look great! I hope mine turns out half as good.<br /><br />-JMW

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

JMW, things are sooo busy around here! Besides new gardens and yardwork and the swingset, I'm on a killer project at work. Have been doing 50 - 60 hrs a week to try to keep on schedule. Then I have no time after work for family. Work just better not cut into my boating time or I will be really pissed!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

BTW, wife picked up this neat double swing ride.<br /><br />
ps7956.jpg
<br /><br />So to fit it in the swing area, I'm going to up the size of the swing beam from a double 2x6x10 to double 2x8x12 or 14 to get the extra space needed. I figure three swings, then the A frame support then another swing. <br /><br />I'm going to have to think about this for a while.

Fishin' Jeff

Chief Petty Officer

Here's a pic of the picnic table that I added to a kit we bought from Sutherlands (local lumber company)<br /><br />After we got their plan constructed, I saw that big open space in the middle and asked the wife if she wanted a picnic table for the kiddies. Gets used quite a bit in the good ol' summertime.<br />
DSC00386.jpg
<br /><br />Please ignore the weeds in the pea gravel. :eek: <br />They have been delt with since the pic. :D ;) :D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Jeff, that was a great idea! Good use of the space. BWT, is your daughter on an Easter Egg hunt? <br /><br />Been working on the swing set Saturday and this is how far it has progressed.<br /><br />
photowork00194s.jpg
<br /><br />Kids just can't stay off it. I had no idea they would be so excited about it. <br /><br />As you can see, the swing beam is attached to the A frame support. The beam is two 2x6x10, same as the kits use when they hang three swings (two then the A fram, then one on the end), but when I spaced them out I thought the swings were way too close together, and too close to the A support and club house. So to space thing apart, I needed to extend the swing beam. Two 4' lengths of 2x6 were used to extend the beam, sandwitch style, then the red "Sky Rider" swing mounts are THROUGH bolted with (4) 3/8 x 7" bolts, plus a few extra 3" lag bolts for good measure. That extension is on there! Both the swing beam and the extension have construction adhesive between the 2x6's just because I makes me feel like it's stronger.<br /><br />
photowork00197s.jpg
<br /><br />Then to secure the swing beam to the A support I had used 3" screws "toe nail" style, but I wasn't happy with that, so this 1" steel strap was made to go over the beam and hold it in place. Two lag screws attach it at the top, and two at each end. Still thinking that maybe a length of 1/2" threaded rod should go through the beam and into something below. Still thinking about it.<br /><br />
photowork00198s.jpg
<br /><br />The climbing wall and ladder still have to be made, the frame for the canvas roof over the club house, and other details. <br /><br />The plan is the use 1x6 to form a box 22x25' around the play set and fill 3" of pea gravel. Still debating on if pea gravel, sand or something else should be used as fill.<br /><br />For now, the kids play...<br /><br />
photowork00200s.jpg

Realgun

Commander

Mark thats great!!!<br /><br />Guys cove that sand box or your gonna be getting cat turds in it for sure.