60,000 mile service

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer
My 2002 Chevy Silverado is making a grinding noise near the front tires. I'm thinking it is the tye-rods (msp?). The boot over the grease fitting is leaking I'm pretty certain. <br /><br />Anyway, here is my real issue:<br /><br />I took my truck to the dealer this morning and they noticed that I'm just over 60,000 miles and that it is time for their $440 service.<br /><br />This includes things like: <br />Includes: Engine Oil Change, Oil Filter Replacement, BG MOA, Chassis Lubrication, Fluid Level Inspection, Rotate & Balance Tires, Check and Adjust Timing, Inspect All Belts & Hoses, Align Front End, Flush & Fill Cooling System, Replace Fuel Filter, Drive Train Service, Inspect Brake System, Replace Plugs / Scope Engine, Service Emission System / Replace Air Filters & PCV Value, Install BG 44K1 (A Service Kit) Fuel System Cleaner, Clean Fuel Injectors, Inspect Exhaust System, Battery Protection Service, Service Transmission, Adjust Parking Brake, Clean Throttle Body, Performance Check Up<br /><br />If it were free, sure I'd have it done. I'm just not sure if it is worth the $440.<br /><br />My wife's Chevy Impala had it's catalytic converter get "clogged" and we limped into town a few months ago. Thankfully, it was covered by the warranty even though her car also had just reached 60000 miles. We were so relieved that it wasn't our transmission going out that we let them perform the service.<br /><br />I know the decision is mine, but do you guys (and gals) let the dealer perform this "necessary" service to your vehicles?

D

DJ

Re: 60,000 mile service

I know the decision is mine, but do you guys (and gals) let the dealer perform this "necessary" service to your vehicles?<br />
ONLY the dealer touches my vehicles. That's allot of work for $440.00. Worth it, in my book.<br /><br />My experience has been that if this were an import, there would be no question. :confused:

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

James just make sure that all the "services/replace" items that are mentioned include the parts to complete the job. Realize too that all the "inspect" service my have additional cost if any repairs are performed. Be sure to tell them do not perform any additional repairs without first getting approval from you. <br /><br />If 440.00 includes all parts and labor listed in your post, it sound reasonable to me. Just be sure parts are included.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the input. The tie rods are both bad and will be replaced. Then there is some intermediate shaft "thingy" on the steering column that needs replacing, plus an alignment, so I'm out $560 for that. There were a couple of other things, but I didn't write them down. This dealership has always been upfront with me. I am loyal to them when shopping and they no it.<br /><br />I'll have to wait a few months for the service, but will most-likely get it. The total is $440 including parts and such.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes. My MLs stay new and performing like new because the dealer does every scheduled service.<br /><br />Yes, it costs, but not as much as repairing stuff that failed because the service wasn't performed.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Yes. My MLs stay new and performing like new because the dealer does every scheduled service.<br /><br />Yes, it costs, but not as much as repairing stuff that failed because the service wasn't performed.
I'm pretty much convinced now I have to convince my bride that it is a smart investment. :rolleyes: <br /><br />She respects people at iboats and asked me to post this to see what you guys said.

TilliamWe

Banned

Since you used the term "intermediate shaft thingy", I'll assume you are not a mechanic. ;) :p <br />For that reason, yes, you should have the dealer do the 60k service.<br />I will say, that some of the items listed will not be done, and some items listed do not need to be done.<br />I only ask you to check your owner's manual to confirm that spark plugs and a trans service are indeed 60k procedures. It was my understanding that many GM vehicles had gone to 100k on those specific items.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

I'm surprised the tie rod ends are shot after only 60,000 miles. Oh nevermind...I see now...Chevy ;) :p :p :D

D

DJ

James. You won't be sorry, in the long run. Not to mention what those records mean at resale/trade time.<br /><br />Forget the "brand" slaps. Since you're willing to show your appreciation for your vehicle, your dealer MAY throw some goodwill your way. It never hurts to ask, for a good customer.

tommays

Admiral

I am a GM person and my 2003 truck will be getting the trany service and raditor service in august at about 46000 miles and anything else thats in the book <br /><br />I have found it far cheeper to change fluid and filters than repiar things :) <br /><br />Both the tranny fluid and antifreeeze can cause all kinds of problems if you drag it out to the MAX service time.<br /><br />Some of the sparkplugs are rated for 100K but thats under perfect conditions and at 3 dollars a gallon i want it run as well as it can<br /> <br /><br />tommays

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If you trust your dealer go for it.<br /><br />Unfortunately many if not most dealers will list far more stuff at any service than is recommended by the manufacturer to put extra money in their pocket. Also they tend to show you a long list of inspect this and inspect that which can be done (if at all) in a few minutes. The list of actual DO STUFF is rather short.<br /><br />I go to a local mechanic and have him do what is recommended by the manufacturer and am confident that he actually does what is needed and charges a fair and not inflated price.<br /><br />P.S. One thing that bothers me with going to a dealer is that you must deal with their "Service Advisors" who are more interested in sales than fixin or maintaining stuff. I want access to the mechanic who is doing the work.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I didnt see fuel filter on the list? My F150 was suppose to have that replaced at 50,000 as part of the 50K package which I put off until at 60000 miles the fuel pump gave out because the fuel filter was plugged. The 400 dollar service would have been cheaper then the 900 bucks for the labor of the fuel pump and filter charges plus towing.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all of the comments. I'll take them to heart next time I go in and have the service done.<br /><br />Yep, I'm no mechanic. :p <br /><br />I have changed out simple things like: starter, battery (duh), water pump, alternator(s), brakes, serpentine belts, spark plugs, radiator, fuel filter, and of course, oil. If I can diagnose the problem and it doesn't require too many special tools or experience, I try to tackle it myself.<br /><br />Honestly, I make more money now than I did in my twenties, so I prefer to let a mechanic do the work. I have a web design business that makes some extra money so I can do what I'm good at and let the mechanics do what they are good at.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Adjust the timing? Man you ain't in no 62 Ford, your timing is automatically adjusted by the computer. Drive train service? What are they talking about? Inspect the brake system? That's not hard. That takes a few minutes while the tires are off during the rotation.<br /><br />Dude...<br /><br />To be honest, that sounds like the most complete list of things the average shadetree mechanic can do in his home garage.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Engine Oil & FIlter Change (10 min), BG MOA (huh????), Chassis Lubrication (10 min), Fluid Level Inspection (5 min), Rotate (30 min) & Balance (Cant do this one) Tires , Check and Adjust Timing (not required), Inspect All Belts & Hoses (5 min), Align Front End (cant do this one, may not be required;check tire wear), Flush & Fill Cooling System (60 min), Replace Fuel Filter (10-30 min), Drive Train Service (10 min), Inspect Brake System (5 min), Replace Plugs / Scope Engine (60 min), Service Emission System / Replace Air Filters & PCV Value (10 min), Install BG 44K1 (A Service Kit) Fuel System Cleaner (10 seconds), Clean Fuel Injectors (cant do this one), Inspect Exhaust System (5 min), Battery Protection Service (huh???), Service Transmission (60 min), Adjust Parking Brake (only if required), Clean Throttle Body (10 min), Performance Check Up (huh???)<br /><br />That is what my evaluation of that stuff. I would do it all myself, cept the parts that I cant do and many of those arent really required.<br /><br />Ken