Battery Combiner - 2 battery charging

mooseo

Seaman Apprentice
I am thinking of a new setup for my two battery system on my 17' whaler w/ 90hp johnson. Thinking about this due to charging problems (thinking blown rectifier that I'll be asking other questions about as soon as I've made some voltage measurements).<br /><br />What I have now is a 1/2/Both/Off switch. One battery is a starting battery, the other is a gel cell. The boat sits in the water, unused for long periods of time, so the gel cell is to run the bilge pump. Currently, everything is hooked to the output of the switch, so I have to switch between Both for charging while running to 2 for accessories while fishing to 1 for starting and... see the problem? It is too easy to leave the switch in the wrong place, try to start from the depleted gel cell and have a dead battery that puts a big load on the charging system. Or to leave it on the starting battery, run the electronics and not have the juice to start easily.<br /><br />What I am thinking of doing is following the advice in the West Marine catalog -- they suggest using 3 on/off switches, one to connect 1 battery to the accessories, one to connect the other battery to the engine and the third as an emergency bridge to use the house battery for starting. In order to charge both, they recommend using a battery combiner device... something that works like a couple of diodes but without the voltage drop so that both batteries charge when the motor is running but don't drain one into the other if they have imballanced charge.<br /><br />What do people think of this setup? Does anyone see any problems with this (other than the expense of 3 new switches and a battery combiner)? Suggestions on how to accomplish the same thing for less money? <br /><br />Thanks for any thoughts.<br />mike

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: Battery Combiner - 2 battery charging

There was a long discussion on just this topic a week or so ago -- maybe should try a search.<br /><br />If the primary issue is charging both batteries off one alternator, I would opt for a battery isolator. It's much simpler, and very effective -- might even want to lose the battery switch.

mooseo

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Oldboat, I have been doing some searching through the archives, but haven't seen many people talking about these isolators. Most people seem to be running trolling motors, and the response always seems to be to not charge them from the main motor.

tesmel

Cadet

As an avid fisherman and boater I have designed and tested a device called a "Phase Charger" that will solve all your on board multiple battery charging requirements. Since installing one on my boat, I now concentrate on catching that trophy walleye instead of worrying about my battery conditions.<br /><br />WHAT IS A PHASE CHARGER<br />A Phase Charger will allow the avid fisherman to charge his main and troll batteries simultaneously from the engine’s alternator while the engine is running.<br /><br />11 REASONS TO HAVE A PHASE CHARGER<br /><br />1) Charge both main and troll batteries simultaneously.<br />2) Completely isolate main and troll batteries when engine is off.<br />3) You will never have to remove your troll batteries to charge them after a day’s trolling.<br />4) Saves you the hassles of lifting heavy batteries to shore to charge.(saves your back too)<br />5) You will not be stranded on the water because your main battery is dead from trolling all day.<br />6) There is absolutely no voltage drop through this device as with the battery isolator.<br />7) No rewiring required.<br />8) No more forgetting the Battery Switch in the wrong position and damaging your electrical system.<br />9) A lot cheaper than most Battery Switch and Isolators.<br />10) You don’t have to be an electrical engineer to install this device.<br />11) Both batteries will be charged optimally.<br /><br />HOW TO HOOK UP THE PHASE CHARGER <br /><br />The Phase Charger comes with four wires, a pair of 16guage wires that is <br />connected to the ignition switch, this supplies 12v to the Phase Charger to <br />turn it on when the engine is running.<br /><br />The other two wires are 8guage one is connected to the main<br />battery +ve, the second to the troll battery +ve.<br /><br />You do not have to wire this device to the alternator of your engine; the <br />alternator's output is already connected to your main crank battery <br />internally.<br /><br /> It is very simple to install, it comes with a complete wiring diagram, <br />and a step by step installation guide, for technical support e-mail, tesmel@sympatico.ca or call me any time. Day phone 416-789-4092.<br /><br />HOW IT WORKS<br />When the ignition switch is turned on a heavy-duty relay connects the crank and troll batteries in parallel (+ve to +ve and –ve to –ve) allowing both batteries to be charged from the engine. When the engine is turned off the relay opens separating the two batteries. All this is done automatically when properly installed.<br />Note: You can have as many troll batteries hooked up in parallel as you wish, provided the charging system of your engine can supply enough current.<br /><br />SPECIFICATIONS and FEATURES<br />The Phase Charger comes with a 2 year warranty and is completely waterproof for <br />outdoor use, it also has a built in battery Isolator feature that will prevent <br />any reverse current flow from the trolling battery to the main crank battery when starting the engine. It is available in 12v or 24v @ 40A & 20A respectively.<br /><br />The price is $49.00 +taxes + shipping. Canadian Funds<br /><br />Method of payments: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Money Orders, Certified Cheques.<br /><br />Thanks for your time.<br />Terry