cutting a telephone pole lengthwise

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Hi guys!! I have to cut a telephone pole lengthwise to replace one that has rotted in my retaining wall.We have a wall that is made of these cut lengthwise with pilings at each end.It is a very nautical look.I am thinking chainsaw and I am sure it will take a while to do .Just wanted to ask and see if anyone may suggest something better or easier.One of those huge table saws you see in cartoons would be ideal ;)

tommays

Admiral
Re: cutting a telephone pole lengthwise

Other than going to the sawmill down the street(i really do have one) i would just chalk line it real carefull<br /><br />And cut really carefull :) <br /><br />tommays

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Contact a local saw mill. Preferably with a band saw, that would make short work of the task at hand.

Laddies

Banned

Most mills wouldn't run one thru a head saw for fear of hitting something that might damage the blade but someone with a portable mill thats a band saw might, there are also some people with attachments that fit chainsaw as a guide that might cut it depends where you live

LubeDude

Admiral

Run a metal detector along it, chalk line it, Spray a liberal amount of WD-40 on the bar about every three feet of cutting, use plenty of oil on the chain and have at it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Contact a contractor that works with wood beams. The contractor may have a chain saw attachment making a cut such as that. Making a cut like that with a chain saw will be very tough and even for an experienced person. I have tried it a few times and it is very hard.<br /><br />The other obstacle is the reluctance to cut a creosote treated pole. That stuff gets into everything.<br /><br />Call LILCO and ask if they know who can do it? Maybe there is a pole prep place on LI.

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

northern tools sells the chainsaw one

Paul Moir

Admiral

I've done some shorter ones with a chainsaw, 12' if I remember. I don't recall it being too difficult, just start with a cut about an inch deep all the way along, and then deepen it a few inches a time. It takes a while but not that long. I think it would be a serious mistake to try to cut through all at once, as keeping straight would be a real challange.<br /><br />A ripping chain for your saw would be a worthwhile investment, and you'll want a decent saw to do it.

ob

Admiral

Who cut the ones that aren't being replaced?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by crazy charlie:<br /> I am on Long Island NY.No saw mills around here.
There used to be.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Is it possible to have it split down the middle? Sorta like the old split rail fences? I remember being at Mammoth Cave. Early natives made pipe using long poles. They would split the pole, hollow out the center and then band the two pieces back together again.<br /><br />Paul is right about the type grind you need for your chain. For ripping, your cutting angle should be zero degrees or perpendicular to the bar. Creosote not only gums stuff up, but will dull a saw blade quickly. Take your time and don't rush your job. Most importantly "BE CAREFUL"

tommays

Admiral

Sure there is charlie i can walk there and its not going anywere they have been protected to keep its history value<br /><br />Harned Brothers Saw Mill<br />Services: Custom, Sawmill<br />Products: Hardwood, Beams, Mantels, Wood Shingles, Woodchips, Decks<br /><br />I went to school with the Harneds and my daughter went to school with there daughter <br /><br /><br />tommays

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your doing it yourself 1st make sure nothing is in the wood{metal detecter} Then use a chainsaw being very carefull you'll want to raise the log off the ground so that your blade doesn't dig into dirt. It does take awhile but isn't all that bad if your only doing 1 or 2. Most mill guys will shy away from these types of poles because of hiden pieces of crap. Blades are not cheap and binding up a mill is not worth the effort.

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

And wear a long sleeved shirt, tie a bandana arount your neck, wear safety glasses and gloves. <br />Not a safety freak, just been there, done that. Creosote on your skin and you've got a chemical burn. In your eyes is worse. Fumes aren't too pleasant either.<br />John, the old retired lineman

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jlshelds;<br /> Good points, also wear a mask you can get cheap ones at walcrap kmart etc...

Bondo

Staff member

I Think you're going to Have to use a Chainsaw,....<br /><br />There's Not a Sawmill in the World that would even consider running a Phone Pole thru a Mill.......<br />Unless You Pay for the Blade or Band,... Before they Start.......<br /><br />Most Sawmills won't even take logs cut from Residential lots........It's All about Imbedded Steel,.. Nails,+ Screws.......<br /><br />With a Chainsaw,... You'll Dull the Chain......<br />On a Sawmill,..... It'll DESTROY the Blade/ Band..........<br /><br />Paul has the Right Idea to get the Job Done....... ;)

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Sounds like the chain saw and taking my time is the way to go.I have no idea who cut the current ones .They were in place when we moved in years ago.The pole is way heavier than I thought it would be so taking it anywhere would be a job in itself.I was thinking of drilling some holes along a chalk line to help keep me straight.

rottenray6402

Ensign

I think I would use a cicular saw with a large carbide blade and cut along the chalk line with that. Make several passes and cut as deep as you can. This will make your chainsaw blade last longer and also keep your cut straight when you are ready to attack it with the chainsaw. You could probably rent a 10" circular saw that will cut down 3 inches or so.

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I doubt you'll find a circular saw that will reach through the pole, even if you make a cut on each side.