Would a points type ignition survive a EM Pulse weapon

18rabbit

Captain
Re: Would a points type ignition survive a EM Pulse weapon

Get a bicycle.<br /> :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Good info here. ://jya.com/emp02.htm<br /><br />ANother message board gave me this link.<br /><br />Sounds like most everything is fried.<br /><br />Ken

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

My understanding of what happens to semiconductors is that the EM pulse induces a very high voltage that will reverse bias a semiconductor junction (or forward bias) with a damaging amount of current that shorts the junction rendering it just another useless piece of sand. The military held out for years, still using vacuum tubes for the guidance systems in missiles, because tubes are impervious to EM pulse. Due to them being just some wire electrodes in a glass bottle, the worst that might happen is some internal arcing. <br /><br />With this in mind during a nuclear attack, my old Evinrude will still carry me to my favorite fishin' hole. Note to self: Take sunscreen, perhaps even an umbrella and a beer cooler.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Get a bicycle
Nah, get a horse...<br /><br />...and build a Faraday cage around it.<br /><br />Just in case.<br /><br /><br />spots

18rabbit

Captain

But then, wouldn't it be Faraday's horse?!?

ob

Admiral

Only a concern if your pusuers choose to be humane and not just fire a mortar round into your vehicle.The thing I don't like about the whole concept of this law enforcement tactic,is that it seems to be the first step in the direction of future vehicles being pre designed to be disabled by "the man." :)

rwise

Captain

as long as my old a$$ boat runs all is well!