Automotive Paint?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
My wifes old Intrepid is in sad shape. It looked great when we got, but now that 5 years have taken its toll on it. I think someone used the wrong paint when some areas was repainted. It has alligatored, and the clear coat has deteriorated. <br /><br />I know I need to sand all the old stuff down to bare metal to do it right. However, I'm just wanting it to look good enough to sell. <br /><br />If I can paint it, it will yield me about $800 more on the sale price. I just need enough to do the hood, front fenders, and just half of the passenger side doors. I'm thinking a quart of base coat and 2 quarts of clearcoat. <br /><br />I grew up in my dads body shop. However it has been a good 35 years since I had any intest in painting. Any info would be appreaciated.....Thanks......SS

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Automotive Paint?

I would think that if you want to sell it, scuff it good, seal it, and paint the WHOLE car with acrylic enamel. Its cheap and painting the whole car won't give you the patch effect...

TilliamWe

Banned

Uh-oh, better get MAACO<br /><br />Actually, don't bother at all. Way more trouble than it's worth. Some new paint on that car ain't gonna help it!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Uh-oh, no Macco around here :( TW, yes this car needs paint. The hood and fenders were repainted that reacted to the factory finish. The rest of the car looks great. I've got the place and tools to do the work myself. Its just been a long time since I worked with it. I maybe picking it up to do some side jobs. This job will give me some practice.<br /><br />Schematic, I've done some searching and your right about shooting the whole car. Most BC/CC applications is not for panel matching.

TilliamWe

Banned

Well, BC/CC can be blended, and it's done every day in the body repair industry. The problem with blending it, is what you are blending it to. If you are going into a panel that's all faded, it's hard to blend. Plus you have to clear entire panels, no taping them, the clear will want to peel big time. But if, as you say, the rest of the car looks great, you should be able to blend. Plus, as you say, it'll be a practice vehicle. If you can't blend it, then repaint the whole car. It's just your time, and money for materials! ;) <br />Are those fenders plastic on that car? Some were, some weren't. It's shouldn't matter, unless you are going all the way down, and repriming. Also, that hood should be HSLA, that may have made a difference when it was re-painted before.

tommays

Admiral

f2b3c39c.jpg
<br /><br />I build and paint a small amount of my own brand of bicycle for a hobby and use PPG base and clear<br /><br />I can say its cost a LOT off money and has to be done in a pretty tight time frame and exact manner to avoide THE self destruction that happened on the first paint job :) <br /><br />There was a LOT of self destruction :eek: learning how to get the primer \basecoat \lettering\clearcoat\ to behave in my homemade garage spraybooth without the more controlled environment of a real spray booth<br /><br /><br />tommays

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

tommays, there are alot more things that react to each other now than there was. I just need to read up on what is compatable with what. <br /><br />I was sanding some of the clear coat off. It is just gumming up my paper. Once I get thru it, the original bc/cc sands fine. Haven't found any bondo or evidence of a accident. Just not sure why the car was repainted. Have thought that maybe it was on fire. Could be why the paint turns to crap after a couple of years.