Selecting a muffler?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
My daughter has a nice little 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer. It has the big wheels with low profile tires, shaded windows and the little spoiler thingy on the trunk. Guys always compliment her on her ride. She is a practical no nonsense kinda gal but has expressed an interest in getting an exhuast with a little character to it.<br /><br />I want to get for her for her birthday but I want to make sure that is doesn't have that annoying, raspy ricer sound nor have an aggravating drone at highway speeds. Just a mellow rumble will do. (as much as 4 bangers can rumble mellowly)<br /><br />Any ideas on a moderately priced muffler? I did talk to a local independant muffler shop and they recommended a Magnaflow universal muffler with a spiffy doublewalled stainless tip. But if you can't hear it in advance, how do you choose?

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Selecting a muffler?

There are about as many different exhausts out there as there are cars.<br /><br />Most of these little crickets get their sound from the 3 or 4 inch pipe they have been using. The larger pipe gives improved performance, but in my opinion sounds like a toad with gas.

Ron G

Commander

Thats a good ???i want to know what its going to sound like.try the flowmasters and tell them you DO NOT WANT IT TO SOUND LIKE A BUMBLEE BEE HAVING SEX.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Was a thd a while back, something about Rice Burners and Farting Mufflers. May want to check that.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

I believe the term was "fart can" LT. :D <br />Maybe you can get her one of those "Turbo tips" things. I hear they make a neato whistling sound.<br /> ;) Does that constitute character?

LubeDude

Admiral

You have a quandry there Boomer, those 4 cylinders will have a bumble bee sound if you can hear them. I think I know what you want though. Its that hollow resonated sound that is annoying. Maybe just a glass pack with a larger tip would do the trick.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

The flowmaster is a good choice for performance. My brother in law has one on his 4 cylinder retard machine. It has a good sound to it. Kind of quiet, when he opens it up it has a sound kind of like the indy cars. I think he only has 2 1/2 inch pipes. The 3 inch cat back systems give good performance but sound bad.

heycods

Captain

Originally posted by deputydawg:<br /> The flowmaster is a good choice for performance. My brother in law has one on his 4 cylinder retard machine. It has a good sound to it. Kind of quiet, when he opens it up it has a sound kind of like the indy cars. I think he only has 2 1/2 inch pipes. The 3 inch cat back systems give good performance but sound bad.
Right. and they dont blow the nabors out of the bed when she comes in. Improve fuel and performance.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Ron G:<br /> Thats a good ???i want to know what its going to sound like.try the flowmasters and tell them you DO NOT WANT IT TO SOUND LIKE A BUMBLEE BEE HAVING SEX.
Yeah, that's it Ron G. Could never put my finger on as good a description. :D <br /><br />Thanks all. I'll look into the flowmaster.