Ford engine identification.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Am looking to buy a 1979 Ford F150. Under the hood says 5.8L engine. It has been too many years since I have been in the shop, is this a 351, 400, or 390? <br /><br />The VIN number is F14HPEG4801. Is there anyplace I can go online to check this code and see what was put in factory as far as gear ratio, tranny, paint color and all the goods?<br /><br />Story of the truck, I posted on dockside a few days ago. I looked at the truck today. Has water leaking out the side of the block, running out. Appears the block is frozen and cracked. The guy said last time he tried to start it he had to put a space heater on the water pump to thaw it so it would turn over. I am assuming the block is ruined from no antifreeze, but the owner just came from Floriduh so didn't know about blocks freezing...<br />I am going to buy it for $100 as a project. Have a few blocks laying around, but mostly smallblocks.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ford engine identification.

DD, a 5.8 is undoubtedly a 351 windsor. Not sure if they were roller cam that early but with 302's, when they started calling them 5.0 (early 80's) they were all roller cam.<br /><br />As far as all the other goodies, take your VIN to the dealer. They should be able to run it and supplie all the particulars.

LubeDude

Admiral

Ya beat me Boomer, my computer did some weird stuff and I couldnt get it posted. :rolleyes: <br /><br />I hate it when that happens. :mad:

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Not exactly Boom. The 351M/400 was real popular in those years as well. If he's lucky it is a Windsor as the bellhousing is the same. As 351M/400 has a 429/460 style bellhousing. Are the valve covers the same as your small blocks? If they are its a Windsor. If they are big and square on the ends its a 351M.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Hmmm, still confused.<br /><br />I was told if it was an F150 with an automatic transmission and lockout hubs it would be a 351W. The intake looks too wide for that. <br /><br />All of my books and information on Fords VIN numbers only go back to 1981.<br /><br />I should have a set of 351W valve covers in my shop. I might go compare them.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Mystery solved.<br /><br />Called Ford, they said 351 but couldn't tell if it was a small block or big block M. So I went and looked at the truck again. Cleaning off the emissions sticker better I see it says 5.8M<br />Then below it it says CID 351 engine class M.<br /><br />Measuring the intake it is definately a Modified. I also located the crack in the block. <br /><br />I have a 302 with a 4 speed I might change everything over to that setup.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Oh well. It's almost a 360. I thought everyone else was overlooking that possibility.